news & politics:discussion

zahidf

21 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

He used to be chief exec of the Taxpayers' Alliance and is a bit of a sceptic on environmental investment too. 

Of course he is. The environment is doomed now isn’t it?

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

If Labour had come out with freeze energy bills paid for by borrowing thing they'd get ripped apart.

Exactly. The Tories play politics on easy mode. 

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

If Labour had come out with freeze energy bills paid for by borrowing thing they'd get ripped apart.

The side of the press that supports the conservatives isn't going to attack the conservatives whilst the "left wing" press isn't going to want to push the idea that there are consequences to governments spending limitless amounts.

There are a few articles from what you'd call either the neutral or financial press:

1 hour ago, lost said:

The side of the press that supports the conservatives isn't going to attack the conservatives whilst the "left wing" press isn't going to want to push the idea that there are consequences to governments spending limitless amounts.

There are a few articles from what you'd call either the neutral or financial press:

well, labour always have to do the costed thing, corbyn/mcdonnell did, and Starmer did with his energy plans...to prove not all from borrowing. If govt spending leads to growth, then all good, Keynsian and all that. Truss wants to borrow to cut taxes, which she hopes will lead to growth. Whether it will is the big question, because at moment public services are desperate for more cash, and now we have this energy crisis that needs huge amounts of cash. No wonder people are saying it's a big gamble.

On 9/5/2022 at 5:14 PM, Alvoram said:

Got our first gas bill for the pub since the rises today, look at the increase in rates... Hate to see the electricity bill. 

Who's up for a £15 pint at my place this winter? 😕 

1098294849_Screenshot2022-09-05165937.png.77a27e6c3aba2064a88bd884f07fc726.png

She has some work to do, and quickly!

Well here we go… 3x increase wasn’t enough… So it’ll now be 5x from October…

FBDF4E86-75FF-4742-ADAF-A3712E241646.thumb.jpeg.202edc44917b517251779c5b2eeb0d59.jpeg

Goodbye pubs… 

48 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Goodbye pubs

Pubs survived before. I’m pretty sure a traditional style real ale pub could make a comeback. 

Real ale doesn’t need the same level of refrigeration and gas supplies as keg lager & cider. 

Have you got any fireplaces in your place? I’d be quite happy sitting in an open fire heated room with a hand pulled ale. 

Obviously all pubs won’t be able to do this but it could keep some afloat. 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

Pubs survived before. I’m pretty sure a traditional style real ale pub could make a comeback. 

Real ale doesn’t need the same level of refrigeration and gas supplies as keg lager & cider. 

Have you got any fireplaces in your place? I’d be quite happy sitting in an open fire heated room with a hand pulled ale. 

Obviously all pubs won’t be able to do this but it could keep some afloat. 

Thanks pal, I do appreciate the effort to inject some positivity. 🙂 We have brilliant fireplaces, an open one, and a double sided powerful log burner... I've been avoiding using them for years because, you know, carbon... 😕 

However we're not going to be able to turnover even 10% of our bills on real ale alone. We're a country pub in the middle of nowhere and rely on the kitchen. It's extremely difficult to cook food on a commercial level without fairly high energy usage. Your town centre pubs may be able to survive without kitchens, but nowadays, without the local mines, (or insert any formerly prosperous countryside industry here.) country pubs are simply not going to survive without dining nor if they have to spend more than half their monthly turnover on energy. 

Also, you're slightly misinformed regarding the cooling of real ale, nowadays most pubs have been adapted such that they require very heavy duty coolers to keep the cellars at the correct temperature. Our cellar will happily sit at over 20 degrees all year round without the hugely powerful air con / refrigeration unit in it. 15 degrees and up will destroy real ale (hence it being so shite at glasto.)

You'll also be surprised to learn that many pubs nowadays use gas for their real ales. Admittedly not under pressure, and not in a way that it affects the beer's profile. But it's used instead of air to replace beer drawn from a cask. This prevents the beer from turning, as it doesn't come into contact with much oxygen and gives an extended life to cask ales. It's called a co2 cask breather / aspirator if you want to know more, incredible systems that allow pubs to have a much wider range of ales than they otherwise would have, without waste or selling bad quality beer. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1