news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Not exactly the cheeriest of summaries, but gets to the heart of the problems Truss is setting herself up for (and the mess she's going to leave us with). Not familiar with Richard Murphy and my grasp of economics is sub O Level standard so will leave it to @lost and any other economists on the list to pick his arguments apart.

32 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

All I ever see from Richard Murphy are 100-tweet long threads of doom. I get that everything is actually shit at the minute but there must be so many doom-monger predictions he has made that have not come to fruition?

He's a bit of a fruitcake is Richard. Had some very doomsday covid predictions that were well off the mark

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

£ not doing too well today.

Took a small dive for an hour or so earlier, but overall the £ has risen against the $ today compared to yesterday. It's up overall since she was announced as PM, after reaching lows not seen since the 80s Sunday night / Monday morning. But it's currently extremely volatile and a lot predicting it could still drop as low as $1.10. 

I could be wrong, but I think what we're mainly seeing is the Euro rebound against both the £ and the $, after their announcements. 🙂 The Euro also hit lows not seen for 20 years before the start of this week. Again, I'm not sure the rebound has legs. 

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Yawn

What I don't get about the Victorian Pencil is that he has plenty of young kids. He may be rich (and now will be getting richer) but that's not going to protect his kids from a future dominated by his govt's abject failure to prepare the country for climate change.

His constuency is in Somerset FFS, almost a third of which is predicted to be under water in less than 30 years: what bunker in what country is he planning on jetting them off to?

https://coastal.climatecentral.org/map/10/-2.6272/51.1984/?theme=sea_level_rise&map_type=coastal_dem_comparison&basemap=roadmap&contiguous=true&elevation_model=best_available&forecast_year=2050&pathway=rcp45&percentile=p50&refresh=true&return_level=return_level_1&rl_model=gtsr&slr_model=kopp_2014

3 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Liz is going to make it easier to see a GP. It's basically some red meat to throw to the electorate, but how will she achieve it?

They don’t have to, she’ll just say they’ve done it and assume we are all too stupid to realise. 

6 hours ago, Kurosagi said:

What I don't get about the Victorian Pencil is that he has plenty of young kids. He may be rich (and now will be getting richer) but that's not going to protect his kids from a future dominated by his govt's abject failure to prepare the country for climate change.

His constuency is in Somerset FFS, almost a third of which is predicted to be under water in less than 30 years: what bunker in what country is he planning on jetting them off to?

https://coastal.climatecentral.org/map/10/-2.6272/51.1984/?theme=sea_level_rise&map_type=coastal_dem_comparison&basemap=roadmap&contiguous=true&elevation_model=best_available&forecast_year=2050&pathway=rcp45&percentile=p50&refresh=true&return_level=return_level_1&rl_model=gtsr&slr_model=kopp_2014

yeah, but tory backbenchers like a bit of fracking.

So todays the day gang where the new PM officially says that she cares more about protecting energy firms profits than she does about people’s own money. What a time to be alive. 

10 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

He's a bit of a fruitcake is Richard. Had some very doomsday covid predictions that were well off the mark

Murphy is a tax returns accountant who likes to pretend he's an economist. 

My proposal on the "windfall tax" would be:

Energy giants have their profits capped at FY21 levels (already inflated due to Covid)

Remaining UK profits held by UK government, these profits can be returned to the company based on a sound investment plan to green energy once the investment has occurred and green efficiencies in place (current profit levels should allow for investments to take place). Any profits not planned to be re-invested into the green energy are used to offset the borrowing used to implement the new cap

54 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

see how people will feel in a few weeks if her energy price deal is seen as good enough and after a photo-op in Kiev.

She’ll get a poll bounce for sure but people overwhelmingly want a windfall tax. She’s actively putting energy firms first here.