news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, phimill said:

My proposal on the "windfall tax" would be:

Energy giants have their profits capped at FY21 levels (already inflated due to Covid)

Remaining UK profits held by UK government, these profits can be returned to the company based on a sound investment plan to green energy once the investment has occurred and green efficiencies in place (current profit levels should allow for investments to take place). Any profits not planned to be re-invested into the green energy are used to offset the borrowing used to implement the new cap

Like it, but too rational for our right wing ideologues.

Although I'm not sure it would generate enough money to cover the cap even at the eye watering £2.5k level...people on here have already pointed out that we can only cap their profits based on what they're making in our territories, which I seem to remember labour suggesting would be £8bn, nice, but far short of what is needed.

8 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Like it, but too rational for our right wing ideologues.

Although I'm not sure it would generate enough money to cover the cap even at the eye watering £2.5k level...people on here have already pointed out that we can only cap their profits based on what they're making in our territories, which I seem to remember labour suggesting would be £8bn, nice, but far short of what is needed.

If we can only cap on profits in our territoires, that means that the windfall tax sure can only be on the profits from the same territoires. Thus windfall would max be £8bn - could be a reason why it isn't being taken. Still that £8bn would improve the time to 100% renewables and net zero

9 minutes ago, phimill said:

If we can only cap on profits in our territoires, that means that the windfall tax sure can only be on the profits from the same territoires. Thus windfall would max be £8bn - could be a reason why it isn't being taken. Still that £8bn would improve the time to 100% renewables and net zero

yeah, £8bn is what labour said it would be...their freeze would be paid for by following:

• Backdating the windfall tax to January and accounting for higher oil and gas prices to raise £8bn
  • Dropping the £400 energy rebate and other pledges made by Tory leadership candidates to raise £14bn
  • By reducing inflation with lower energy bills, leading to a cut in government debt interest payments of £7bn

(from https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62542541)

so, obviously if getting closer to 100bn then windfall tax is a smaller proportion, but it would be popular with public as looks fairer, which is why I don't understand why she just doesn't do it.

3 minutes ago, phimill said:

I think the figure that Truss is announcing today is more in the region of £100bn+ over the next couple of years.

However, just on a basic humanitarian level there should be a windfall tax on spectacular 'accidental' profits rather than it be funneled to a discrete bunch of rich shareholders.

The bigger issue that stevie has alluded to is that JRM is now fully opening the doors to energy firms to drill and frack across the country. Whilst we'll get some revenue from licensing now should be the time we go all Norway and nationalise the money grabbing (polluting, exploiting finite resources, lack of serious investment in renewables etc) bastards.

Just now, steviewevie said:

bailout.

Just nationalise them.

Its fucking staggering. How much more money do these firms want!?

They are putting up prices, making us pay for it and giving them £40b.