news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, Alvoram said:

There are other things, like no comedy on TV, books of condolence and other traditions that take place during these 10 days. 

Regardless of your opinion on the Royal family, surely expecting 10 days of mourning to mean 10 days of 'holiday' is a bit dark. 

Would they really impose that? The mind boggles.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Anymore dark than this popcorn munching media lapping all this up.

The whole thing is a bit of a joke really...

Will she be put on show like her mum so we can all take a peep ? 

Don't get me started on the media... 

But yes, there will obviously be a state funeral. That's the day that will be classed as a 'public holiday.'

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Would they really impose that? The mind boggles.

Yes. (see below)

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

yeah...but netflix/disney+/prime...

Pubs will be open, right?

Actually I read it a while ago, and it may just be the BBC to be fair. 🤷‍♂️

Pubs will be open, if they can afford the energy bill. 

16 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

The dream of 10 days of bank holidays now been downgraded to 1 national holiday for the funeral provided it's not on a weekend! What a shame

Businesses might close on the day of her passing out of respect which could include shops etc. 

Just now, Ozanne said:

Businesses might close on the day of her passing out of respect which could include shops etc. 

Yeh, and unlike most bank holidays, some pubs and shops will also close on the Funeral day I would imagine.

I remember when Diana died, we were on holiday in Devon, everywhere closed on the day of her death, and the only places open on the funeral day were arcades, who turned off all machines and showed the funeral on big screens. I don't remember, but I don't think that was even an official holiday was it?

Yeh, and unlike most bank holidays, some pubs and shops will also close on the Funeral day I would imagine.

I remember when Diana died, we were on holiday in Devon, everywhere closed on the day of her death, and the only places open on the funeral day were arcades, who turned off all machines and showed the funeral on big screens. I don't remember, but I don't think that was even an official holiday was it?

From what I’ve been able to gather the funeral would be a bank holiday but shops would likely shut out of respect. I presume the same is for hospitality places too but I don’t think they have too. 

Just now, Ozanne said:

From what I’ve been able to gather the funeral would be a bank holiday but shops would likely shut out of respect. I presume the same is for hospitality places too but I don’t think they have too. 

That's my understanding too.

Lots of places will close out of respect though. (Or to appease the majority of their regular demographic.)

That's my understanding too.

Lots of places will close out of respect though. (Or to appease the majority of their regular demographic.)

True.

For some people it might be a helpful place to go if they are effected by the Queens passing, I don’t think there’s really a right or wrong to be honest. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

True.

For some people it might be a helpful place to go if they are effected by the Queens passing, I don’t think there’s really a right or wrong to be honest. 

I was working in Currys in Guildford when Diana died and head office informed us to shut for the day of her funeral.

For days after we opened there were complaints that we'd closed, mainly from elderly women and red faced fat men, "she wasn't even a proper royal" etc etc

You can't win

Just now, justanotheronethen said:

I was working in Currys in Guildford when Diana died and head office informed us to shut for the day of her funeral.

For days after we opened there were complaints that we'd closed, mainly from elderly women and red faced fat men, "she wasn't even a proper royal" etc etc

You can't win

Oh yeah businesses will be damned if they do and dammed if they don’t. They should just decide what’s best for their staff and if they feel it’s right to open. 

10 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Meghan hasn't travelled and its of course because she isn't welcome etc...

Kate hasn't travelled because of the children - super mum and all that...

Its hilarious to see the difference in reporting over the same situation 🙂

Kate is so super she even has time to be a photographer and takes photo of her kids!