news & politics:discussion

zahidf

going by the stuff going on with sport would it be safe to assume more normality after the weekend with everything ? until the funeral ? how long did it take to return the tv channels/ radio  to normal after prince Philip ? there seems to be very little info available given the amount of time they've had to prepare 

15 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

going by the stuff going on with sport would it be safe to assume more normality after the weekend with everything ? until the funeral ? how long did it take to return the tv channels/ radio  to normal after prince Philip ? there seems to be very little info available given the amount of time they've had to prepare 

The Ajax tickets were supposed to go on sale at 2pm today but the sale has been postponed so I can't see Tuesdays game will go ahead either .

IMG_20220909_142502.jpg

22 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I wonder what would've happened if this happened a few days before Glastonbury!?

Would be really surprised if Glastonbury cancelled with only a few days notice, after months of site build, plus all the expenses, traders time and money etc, etc and the involvement of so many people.

Guess in this hypothetical case we may have had to endure some nonsense minutes silence and sycophantic tributes here and there.

4 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Good idea! 

I respect people's right to be sad but what grinds my gears is being spoke for as if I'm part of a collective grief. I feel as sad about her dying as I would about any old person - sad for the family and then move on. I didn't expect the world to stop for my mum dying. It's just so weird to me that wr are expected to feel a way about it. Lots of us just don't but we just get lumped in.

Totally agree. My instinctive reaction is to tell people I couldn't care less about the queen being dead, which would wind people up. It isn't totally true as I do feel some amount of empathy for her family on a human level, but the fact is she was 96 and lived a life of enormous privilege and luxury, funded by the taxpayer. 

4 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I actually don't think it's harmless as the bow and scrape to your betters mentality is a huge part of what's wrong with this country. But I can tell people aren't really up for the republican debate today so maybe not the time for it.

On the one hand, not the time, but on the other, wouldn't it be best for the monarchy to end on the back of its longest reigning monarch who was more or less universally respected in the western world? We're only ever one feckless monarch away from storming the palace. 

3 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Is it a day off though. That’s the crucial information people want to know. 

Literally all I care about. 

2 hours ago, VCK said:

Always felt the monarchy was an outdated system that taxpayers were spending too much on. However, it does feel weird that she is now dead, and I certainly take no delight in a 96 year old woman dying, just because she represented something I disagree with. May she RIP.

This. But also, why does she need to be replaced? Put the palaces in trust and pension off the royals. 

2 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Totally agree. My instinctive reaction is to tell people I couldn't care less about the queen being dead, which would wind people up. It isn't totally true as I do feel some amount of empathy for her family on a human level, but the fact is she was 96 and lived a life of enormous privilege and luxury, funded by the taxpayer. 

On the one hand, not the time, but on the other, wouldn't it be best for the monarchy to end on the back of its longest reigning monarch who was more or less universally respected in the western world? We're only ever one feckless monarch away from storming the palace. 

This. But also, why does she need to be replaced? Put the palaces in trust and pension off the royals. 

Right on.

33 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

There seem to be plenty on here with the same views, (me included), I can't believe we are that far removed from what many of the public think but nowhere in the media or elsewhere is our view allowed. There are hundreds of MPs in parliament but not one will voice any criticism, they can't, they have sworn allegiance to the crown, so our views cannot be put forward by our supposed democratically elected representatives. That is why they persist with the "whole nation is mourning" line and restrict radio and TV so we are fed the same propaganda on every channel, it's brainwashing on a national scale and most people will take it in, we won't ever get rid of the monarchy unless there is a revolution, the entire state machinery is designed to protect them and keep us as "subjects".

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

God Save The King.

The fascist regime, that made you a moron..  45 years on from the Sex Pistols and nothing has changed, in fact things are worse, the media is even more controlled and the public have been dumbed down by a useless education system and addiction to mobile phones and social media.

14 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

There seem to be plenty on here with the same views, (me included), I can't believe we are that far removed from what many of the public think but nowhere in the media or elsewhere is our view allowed. There are hundreds of MPs in parliament but not one will voice any criticism, they can't, they have sworn allegiance to the crown, so our views cannot be put forward by our supposed democratically elected representatives. That is why they persist with the "whole nation is mourning" line and restrict radio and TV so we are fed the same propaganda on every channel, it's brainwashing on a national scale and most people will take it in, we won't ever get rid of the monarchy unless there is a revolution, the entire state machinery is designed to protect them and keep us as "subjects".

Great post, slightly disagree with the bit in bold though, I think there's more royalists than you think.

3 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

The fascist regime, that made you a moron..  45 years on from the Sex Pistols and nothing has changed, in fact things are worse, the media is even more controlled and the public have been dumbed down by a useless education system and addiction to mobile phones and social media.

doesn't rhyme.

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Great post, slightly disagree with the bit in bold though, I think there's more royalists than you think.

The media give the perception that the majority are royalists or at least are broadly supportive of them, they would continue to do that even if the majority were against the monarchy so it's difficult to judge. I suspect things will take a swing our way once Charles has been in for a while, I suspect he won't be anything like as popular as his mum.