news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Just now, Ozanne said:

Exactly. In an election campaign the polls would likely narrow and it’s just too much of an ask to be likely. 

If they can’t do it now then they are completely unelectable and might as well give up unless they form some kind of pact with the Lib Dem’s . 

42 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Labour won’t win a majority at the next election, it’s incredibly difficult even before the boundary changes. It would need the biggest swing in UK electoral history as it is.

I feel the likelier outcome is a Labour minority government. 

I see labour led minority government. I could see SNP agreeing to abstain on votes required to allow labour to form a working government 

25 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I see labour led minority government. I could see SNP agreeing to abstain on votes required to allow labour to form a working government 

That’s what I can see happening too. Labour will essentially dare the SNP to vote down their King’s Speech etc. 

37 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

If they can’t do it now then they are completely unelectable and might as well give up unless they form some kind of pact with the Lib Dem’s . 

Traditionally Labour would now have to build back up to form another government so they would need to drastically reduce the Tories majority before having a proper shot in 2030. However the Tories incompetence and Starmer rescuing the party has given them a shot of doing it early.

If Labour don’t win a majority it wouldn’t mean they are ‘unelectable’ it would mean that the mountain was too big to climb, as I say the swing needed is the largest ever. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

That’s what I can see happening too. Labour will essentially dare the SNP to vote down their King’s Speech etc. 

Traditionally Labour would now have to build back up to form another government so they would need to drastically reduce the Tories majority before having a proper shot in 2030. However the Tories incompetence and Starmer rescuing the party has given them a shot of doing it early.

If Labour don’t win a majority it wouldn’t mean they are ‘unelectable’ it would mean that the mountain was too big to climb, as I say the swing needed is the largest ever. 

I understand how it works .... I also know that each party in a constituency starts on 0 votes 

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

If Labour win it will be because of the hatred of the Tories, not because of any semblance of competence by Starmer. He's a Tory enabler

21 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I understand how it works .... I also know that each party in a constituency starts on 0 votes 

That would be the case if we were starting from scratch but that doesn’t take into account how people voted last election and the need to swing those voters to Labours cause as it’s harder to win over voters that didn’t vote for you previously. It sadly isn’t as simple as each constituency starting on zero.

25 minutes ago, justanotheronethen said:

If Labour win it will be because of the hatred of the Tories, not because of any semblance of competence by Starmer. He's a Tory enabler

No sorry, it’s both. Polling indicates that. 

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

That would be the case if we were starting from scratch but that doesn’t take into account how people voted last election and the need to swing those voters to Labours cause as it’s harder to win over voters that didn’t vote for you previously. It sadly isn’t as simple as each constituency starting on zero.

No sorry, it’s both. Polling indicates that. 

'Polling'

Ok then