news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

I'm sure many will like the tax cuts...and who cares about those on welfare anyway, the skivers.

i reckon everyone is sick of spending cuts.

7 minutes ago, Neil said:

i reckon everyone is sick of spending cuts.

Under Cameron and Osborne we had spending cuts without the tax cuts...it was all to bring down the deficit apparently, but in the end just felt like a cynical way of shrinking the state. Now we are getting spending cuts because markets don't trust Kwarteng/Truss plans for tax cuts and growth. So, I expect some people will like the fact they have more money and aren't bothered about the state of public services, the selfish gene and all that. I guess depends where cuts will be...welfare? education? HS2?

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Under Cameron and Osborne we had spending cuts without the tax cuts...it was all to bring down the deficit apparently, but in the end just felt like a cynical way of shrinking the state. Now we are getting spending cuts because markets don't trust Kwarteng/Truss plans for tax cuts and growth. So, I expect some people will like the fact they have more money and aren't bothered about the state of public services, the selfish gene and all that. I guess depends where cuts will be...welfare? education? HS2?

now it just feels like viciousness for the sake of being vicious.

1 minute ago, Punksnotdead said:

It always was! The difference this time is even some Tories are threatening to rebel against it.

because even those tories can see how unfair and vicious it is.

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Also have to remember that despite the last load of austerity, Tories kept winning.

That’s mainly because of poor Labour messaging and the media not doing their jobs properly. 

3 minutes ago, lost said:

Can’t see the BOE wanting to monetise much more debt. The timing of these bond purchases was terrible in regards to starting to unwind the COVID debts.

Yes timing was terrible, but necessary due to what happened to markets after Kwarteng's dumbarse budget.

Weren't the bond buying supposed to last two weeks, probably why uturns and cuts brought forward to stabilise things.

What a mess.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yes timing was terrible, but necessary due to what happened to markets after Kwarteng's dumbarse budget.

Weren't the bond buying supposed to last two weeks, probably why uturns and cuts brought forward to stabilise things.

What a mess.

According to the Press the reason for the u turn was because Graham Brady went and told Truss that she didn’t have the numbers for the tax cuts and it could bring her down. 

36 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Austerity isn’t an ideology, it’s justification for the Right to cut public services and funnel more of the money from the poor to the rich. 

It's a political choice.