news & politics:discussion

zahidf

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Nadine Dorries is still going in on Truss and has backed rising benefits in-line with inflation. Truss will have to u turn on this too. 

if she does she'll claim we're having more austerity so that people on benefits can piss it up.

1 minute ago, Neil said:

if she does she'll claim we're having more austerity so that people on benefits can piss it up.

Sadly I can see her saying exactly that. How are you doing with it all?

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Sadly I can see her saying exactly that. How are you doing with it all?

i'm doing pretty good at pissing up my benefits, anyone who wants to cut mine, should lose the use of their legs and an arm, and  lose their driving licence to see how they cope.

15 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Nadine Dorries is still going in on Truss and has backed rising benefits in-line with inflation. Truss will have to u turn on this too. 

Nadine annoyed she isn't in the lord's yet, funny how vindictive these politicians are. A few weeks down the line it looks to me like the torys have given labour the dream opponent, right of Johnson and completely wooden. I think only Braverman would potentially be doing worse. I think Rishi or Mourdant would have been tough opponents, so potentially a bullet dodged.

14 minutes ago, Neil said:

i'm doing pretty good at pissing up my benefits, anyone who wants to cut mine, should lose the use of their legs and an arm, and  lose their driving licence to see how they cope.

Sorry to hear that, I hope for your (and others) sake that they do the right thing here. 

12 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Nadine annoyed she isn't in the lord's yet, funny how vindictive these politicians are. A few weeks down the line it looks to me like the torys have given labour the dream opponent, right of Johnson and completely wooden. I think only Braverman would potentially be doing worse. I think Rishi or Mourdant would have been tough opponents, so potentially a bullet dodged.

I didn’t think of it like that with Dorries and the Lords, I just assumed she was doing it to try to get Johnson back in No 10.

You are spot on with Truss. 

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Sorry to hear that, I hope for your (and others) sake that they do the right thing here. 

i hope they do the right thing, for the sake of everyone who relies on their benefits to live(which i don't, i still work),  my benefit (pip) enables me to have an almost normal and hopefully: independent life.mostly gets spent on taxis.

40 minutes ago, Neil said:

my benefit (pip) enables me to have an almost normal and hopefully: independent life

People assume because you’re getting benefits that you’re not contributing to to the economy but leaching off it. 

I spend a lot of mine contributing to my local economy. It’s money we’re entitled to and it gives us freedom to enjoy ourselves and do things that we wouldn’t normally do. My local independent pub certainly appreciates me propping them up. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Ozanne said:

This gives good insight into the Tory members.

Makes me really angry that and she is probably a typical Tory voter. Openly admits to being selfish and that clouding her judgment with no shame, and then goes on to spout nonsense about her generation without even once acknowledging her privilege compared to 'youngsters'. Know an awful lot of people like her which is why I fear we are still going to be stuck with the Tories for a while yet.

54 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

People assume because you’re getting benefits that you’re not contributing to to the economy but leaching off it. 

I spend a lot of mine contributing to my local economy. It’s money we’re entitled to and it gives us freedom to enjoy ourselves and do things that we wouldn’t normally do. My local independent pub certainly appreciates me propping them up. 

I hope I didn’t come across like that, sorry if I did.

48 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Makes me really angry that and she is probably a typical Tory voter. Openly admits to being selfish and that clouding her judgment with no shame, and then goes on to spout nonsense about her generation without even once acknowledging her privilege compared to 'youngsters'. Know an awful lot of people like her which is why I fear we are still going to be stuck with the Tories for a while yet.

It’s pretty vile isn’t it, they tell the younger generations to show sacrifices but never seem to want to do that themselves. 

32 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I am not sure...  Sure she represents a healthy chunk of narrow minded Tories but a lot more believe in small business, enabling people to get on, home ownership, sound economic management and so on...  they are losing them to Labour right now.

A couple of the most generous people I know are conservative so think it's unfair to generalise. I live in Rushcliffe which is Ken Clarke's old constituency. Voted against Brexit and definitely more of the types you mention.

Politics Live on the beeb today was a thoroughly enjoyable romp through the issues of the day. Ed Vaizey came across like Dominic West out of Brassic, it was refreshing to have a tory be so brazenly open about the blue on blue warfare going on.

The first 25 minutes was an excellent overview of the state of both parties and was similar to a lot of the discussions that takes place here. It was interesting hearing the Telegraph reporter talk about how Starmer has been positioning himself.

The last section on Russia was also illuminating about possible avenues for Putin in Ukraine with some Prof of Russian Studies (e.g. bombing of Ukraine infrastructure/utilities to create a new wave of refugees in the winter) and the potential for even greater problems within Russia (too many families losing young men on the front line in combination with those losing their children to leaving the country creating destabilisation and opportunities for rebellion).

Politics Live can be a tough watch when the blue/red panel just talk over themselves and insult each other, but every now and then the panel gels like they're at the pub sharing a round and it becomes quite illuminating.

22 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Politics Live can be a tough watch when the blue/red panel just talk over themselves and insult each other, but every now and then the panel gels like they're at the pub sharing a round and it becomes quite illuminating.

It was similar on the CH4 Andrew Neil show. They had Ed Balls and George Osborne on, both used to be opponents but the Tories are now so far outside the Overton window the talk was civil with them both agreeing on everything.

21 minutes ago, lost said:

It was similar on the CH4 Andrew Neil show. They had Ed Balls and George Osborne on, both used to be opponents but the Tories are now so far outside the Overton window the talk was civil with them both agreeing on everything.

Still can't find myself to be civil about George Osborne. But, and like you say, looks like we're currently in that rare period where a govt has spectacularly sent themselves so far up into the clouds that they can no longer see they've left everyone else behind.

Can't remember whether it was here or elsewhere (apologies if here and I'm repeating) but read an interesting overview that a large part of the govt's problems are that they've been in power so long that they've had waves of mps that have grown up in govt and never been tempered/tested by experience in opposition, which is why we're seeing so much incompetence and outright terrible views (e.g. Braveman and her wet dreams).

40 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Still can't find myself to be civil about George Osborne. But, and like you say, looks like we're currently in that rare period where a govt has spectacularly sent themselves so far up into the clouds that they can no longer see they've left everyone else behind.

Can't remember whether it was here or elsewhere (apologies if here and I'm repeating) but read an interesting overview that a large part of the govt's problems are that they've been in power so long that they've had waves of mps that have grown up in govt and never been tempered/tested by experience in opposition, which is why we're seeing so much incompetence and outright terrible views (e.g. Braveman and her wet dreams).

I think the likes of Braverman have one eye on a future in the right wing talk TV circuit.

I think the whole benefits thing is another smoke screen story for the tories to be honest as they know it historically polls well with their voters to feed into the (incorrect) narrative that people on uni credit are scrounging off the state, when in fact the big outrage should be that it’s under the tories rule that they’ve allowed us to get into a position where a lot of those in work also have to claim benefits to just survive let alone live and enjoy their lives. 

In reality I think I read it’s only going to cost £5-6billion to raise benefits in line with inflation, which is a pretty small amount in the grand scheme of things so it should be an absolute no brainier decision to raise them, but as I said the smoke screen allows them to deflect attention away from other issues they’d rather we didn’t focus on hence why they keep talking about it and not coming to a conclusive decision either way.

3 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

A couple of the most generous people I know are conservative so think it's unfair to generalise.

you have to be rich to be generous.