news & politics:discussion

zahidf

8 minutes ago, OverlyComplicated said:

Ok, but here we are talking about what should happen to the housing market, where managed decline would be preferable to a crash.

If we are talking about what will happen then the oncoming recession will have a short term dent in house prices that will briefly make things slightly more affordable whilst sticking some people who've bought at just the wrong time through the shit. Then when the economy returns to normal there will be a return to situation normal in the housing market and prices will continue to go up and things will soon be just as shit as they are now.

For a small few they aren’t bothered by how a housing crash could negatively affect others they are just only concerned about themselves.

8 minutes ago, OverlyComplicated said:

Ok, but here we are talking about what should happen to the housing market, where managed decline would be preferable to a crash.

If we are talking about what will happen then the oncoming recession will have a short term dent in house prices that will briefly make things slightly more affordable whilst sticking some people who've bought at just the wrong time through the shit. Then when the economy returns to normal there will be a return to situation normal in the housing market and prices will continue to go up and things will soon be just as shit as they are now.

Managed decline only happens in a fictional world were any gov is gonna build a lot of affordable housing. Total pipe dream.

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

You basically want a house price crash to benefit yourself.

It needs to happen, there is no two ways about it. When I have a house I won't want prices to shoot up cause I know it wont help me get up the ladder.

6 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

What you are not factoring in is it probably won't help you much.

You don't know my financial situation etc. I am well aware that lender will tighten their requirements. What I do know is average house prices of like 290k certainly does not help anyone young.

9 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

You basically want a house price crash to benefit yourself.

Most people are predicting a 10 percent fall. I'm hardly wishing destitution on anyone. You can't claim no one will move due to negative equity and then say there's gonna be massive hardship due to it. One or the other

7 hours ago, OverlyComplicated said:

This is exactly what you don't want to happen, yes house prices are too high and it would be a good thing if they could be managed down gradually but a sudden crash would be disastrous for many people's livelihoods.

As a mechanism for bringing house prices down increasing interest rates is awful, if prices fall as interest rates increase you have people stuck in negative equity so can't sell their home whilst not being able to afford the increased mortgage payments. 

If you want to bring house prices down look at developers, make them build more affordable housing not just the most profitable larger homes, make them build on the tracts of lands they buy up as fast as possible rather than holding back to restrict supply and maintain prices. 

More affordable housing is lower quality hpusing and lower wages for builders. 

Talk of Tory manoeuvres against Truss in the press this evening. Early days but still worth noting. They will be playing a massive risk doing that, they will seem as all over the place. 

They’ve run out people to blame. Let’s go on a journey of their blame game:

- New Labour

- Lib Dems

- EU

- Judges

- MPs

- Scientists

- Civil servants

- Lawyers

- BBC

- Their own MPs

Who is left? I’m sure their fans will come at me to compare that list to Germany’s (or another random EU country) but seriously think who else is left for them to blame before they admit their own fault? 

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

They’ve run out people to blame. Let’s go on a journey of their blame game:

- New Labour

- Lib Dems

- EU

- Judges

- MPs

- Scientists

- Civil servants

- Lawyers

- BBC

- Their own MPs

Who is left? I’m sure their fans will come at me to compare that list to Germany’s (or another random EU country) but seriously think who else is left for them to blame before they admit their own fault? 

I'm sure Harry, Megan and Greta Thunberg all will get the blame as well.

8 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I'm sure Harry, Megan and Greta Thunberg all will get the blame as well.

Yes of course!

How I could forget them but especially environmentalists. 

Edited by Ozanne