news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, Neil said:

which will get him voted to be mp, if he's as popular as he's claiming.

he was trying to stand to be a Labour MP. He is a labour councillor and member and has local support and backing from two trade unions. He doesn't know why he was blocked, although suggests it was because he liked a Caroline Lucas tweet. He doesn't stand a chance as an independent and you know it. Maybe he has done something else that has upset Labour, but there doesn't appear to be a valid reason.

Edited by steviewevie

19 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

could be...although he didn't exactly get unanimous support from MPs back in July or whenever it was...

It was pretty good support wasn’t it?

33 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

he was trying to stand to be a Labour MP. He is a labour councillor and member and has local support and backing from two trade unions. He doesn't know why he was blocked, although suggests it was because he liked a Caroline Lucas tweet. He doesn't stand a chance as an independent and you know it. Maybe he has done something else that has upset Labour, but there doesn't appear to be a valid reason.

If he's not as popular as he's claiming then labour's loss is less than he's claiming. And Labour is better off without the self-important liar. 

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

I think it’ll be Sunak, he seems well positioned given his warnings in the summer and how well he did with MPs. 

Seems like Ben Wallace is the popular choice right now 

49 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Don't know enough about him to know of he would be a good MP, but don't all parties do things like this. Under Corbyn they managed to parachute Sam Tarry above the members choice.

25 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I think he got more than 50% in the last round. 

looked it up, he got 38.3%. I think there was a big stop rishi campaign. I expect more would support him now, but as Neil says I imagine someone like Wallace would have more support across the party. But we'll see, they might stagger on with Truss for a bit longer...

18 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Don't know enough about him to know of he would be a good MP, but don't all parties do things like this. Under Corbyn they managed to parachute Sam Tarry above the members choice.

this guy was not even allowed to stand. I'm not saying it hasn't happened before, or doesn't happen elsewhere...but just that it is a bit control freakery.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

looked it up, he got 38.3%. I think there was a big stop rishi campaign. I expect more would support him now, but as Neil says I imagine someone like Wallace would have more support across the party. But we'll see, they might stagger on with Truss for a bit longer...

I'm just repeating what the papers say. I could tell you what my cat says. 

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

this guy was not even allowed to stand. I'm not saying it hasn't happened before, or doesn't happen elsewhere...but just that it is a bit control freakery.

This sort of Control freakery is normally the method of the self proclaimed leftists and his conspiracy claims is also the norm of the self proclaimed leftists notice how he self proclaims his leftist credentials. 

36 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I guess what happens to pound and gilts etc tomorrow will end up being the main deciding factor whether Truss goes sooner rather than later

I wonder if they’ll make Truss feel guilty…

Lots of chatter about raising VAT as one of the few options left for Hunt given the mess we're in. As discussed in the thread below, would need to be balanced by something else given how punitive it is for those on lower incomes (perhaps the quid pro quo for uplift in benefits?). Does raising VAT mean an inevitable increase in inflation (don't know whether VAT contributes to inflation measures or not...)?

The BoE will still raise interest rates, they’re dead set on doing that anyway.

Raising VAT will still hit poorer people hardest so yes they’d need to raise benefits in-line with inflation at the very least. Either way it’ll be yet another form of tax going up under the government that desperately want to be known as anything but a raising tax party.