news & politics:discussion

zahidf

The thread above says Jonathan Reynolds said they will maintain it till £200 a week is guaranteed. Using today’s inflation rate of 10.1pc, the state pension should rise by £22.70 a week to £203.85 from April 2023. Even if it doesn't rise by that this time you would think the two rises before we have a GE will so they are both effectively telling the truth.

Labour are forcing a vote in the Commons on fracking and the government has said it’ll be a confidence vote! Which is this afternoon!

Edited by Ozanne

10 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

The long term solution, same as with most, is UBI.Y

No idea what the ".Y" on the end means, but I'm guessing that UBI refers to Universal Basic Income.

I've not come across people discussing UBI on this thread before and would welcome some sharing of opinions, particularly amongst those with a better grasp of economics and governance.

Intuitively I like how it simplifies the welfare system (and therefore almost pays for itself?) and takes the stigma out of finding yourself having to rely on it. I also like how it provides financial recognition to women who do most of the unpaid caring (and poorly paid caring) jobs in society.

Looking at the link above it seems that when UBI is discussed in countries it gets shot down by those on the right as being 'free money for lazy people'. Whereas those on the left share results of pilots which show "significant declines in poverty, behavioral problems, crime, substance abuse and psychiatric problems, and increases in on-time graduation".

Given the current financial crisis here and elsewhere (and the current discussions about pensions), I'm wondering whether UBI is ripe for a reboot as an idea whose time has come?

16 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

No idea what the ".Y" on the end means, but I'm guessing that UBI refers to Universal Basic Income.

I've not come across people discussing UBI on this thread before and would welcome some sharing of opinions, particularly amongst those with a better grasp of economics and governance.

Intuitively I like how it simplifies the welfare system (and therefore almost pays for itself?) and takes the stigma out of finding yourself having to rely on it. I also like how it provides financial recognition to women who do most of the unpaid caring (and poorly paid caring) jobs in society.

Looking at the link above it seems that when UBI is discussed in countries it gets shot down by those on the right as being 'free money for lazy people'. Whereas those on the left share results of pilots which show "significant declines in poverty, behavioral problems, crime, substance abuse and psychiatric problems, and increases in on-time graduation".

Given the current financial crisis here and elsewhere (and the current discussions about pensions), I'm wondering whether UBI is ripe for a reboot as an idea whose time has come?

I love the idea cause I don't want to go to work.

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Labour are forcing a vote in the Commons on fracking and the government has said it’ll be a confidence vote

This will be fascinating.

It's a 3 line whip and yet there are quite a few tory mps who are opposed to fracking and will find themselves with a huge dilemma. A good win/win for labour as any tory mp that votes in line with their constituency wishes will find themselves losing the whip leading to further discontent/problems for truss.

I wonder how long before a bunch of tory mps leave to create an independent alliance. I've not heard speculation yet about any tory about to cross the floor (I hope not as it backfired on Labour last time it happened), but creating a band of independents might be on the cards?

9 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

This will be fascinating.

It's a 3 line whip and yet there are quite a few tory mps who are opposed to fracking and will find themselves with a huge dilemma. A good win/win for labour as any tory mp that votes in line with their constituency wishes will find themselves losing the whip leading to further discontent/problems for truss.

I wonder how long before a bunch of tory mps leave to create an independent alliance. I've not heard speculation yet about any tory about to cross the floor (I hope not as it backfired on Labour last time it happened), but creating a band of independents might be on the cards?

Smart

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think I'd rather they just voted to ban fracking than play political games...

Oh does this mean we have the 'joy' of watching the Mogg set out the argument for the vote? That's adding injury to insult to those anti-fracking tory mps having to watch his gurning face and endure his nonsense justifications...and then have to vote for it.

3 hours ago, Neil said:

its annoying that pip is a cover-all, they used to do something called mobility allowance, but the DSS didn't trust the doctor assessments.

Have you got your extra £150 yet? I was hoping I was going to get mine along with the regular payment but I haven’t.