news & politics:discussion

zahidf

51 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Have you got your extra £150 yet? I was hoping I was going to get mine along with the regular payment but I haven’t. 

have nt had that yet.

2 hours ago, Kurosagi said:

No idea what the ".Y" on the end means, but I'm guessing that UBI refers to Universal Basic Income.

I've not come across people discussing UBI on this thread before and would welcome some sharing of opinions, particularly amongst those with a better grasp of economics and governance.

Intuitively I like how it simplifies the welfare system (and therefore almost pays for itself?) and takes the stigma out of finding yourself having to rely on it. I also like how it provides financial recognition to women who do most of the unpaid caring (and poorly paid caring) jobs in society.

Looking at the link above it seems that when UBI is discussed in countries it gets shot down by those on the right as being 'free money for lazy people'. Whereas those on the left share results of pilots which show "significant declines in poverty, behavioral problems, crime, substance abuse and psychiatric problems, and increases in on-time graduation".

Given the current financial crisis here and elsewhere (and the current discussions about pensions), I'm wondering whether UBI is ripe for a reboot as an idea whose time has come?

The .y was just a typo.

So the "free money for lazy People" argument is used by the right with regards to all benefits. It's not used about landlords for some reason though.

It's quite powerful in terms of giving a real living base for everyone, but expecting people to work for their luxuries.

In most pilots, essential and engaging jobs still manage to get staff. It also often ends up cheaper because of the reduced administration costs compared to any means testing.

The change to it will be tiresome and costly, as with most, but I think it should be a goal in a 2nd/3rd term for Labour.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

So the "free money for lazy People" argument is used by the right with regards to all benefits. It's not used about landlords for some reason though.

Have an upvote for giving me a new retort next time I argue with my brexit-tory loving friend.

1 hour ago, kaosmark2 said:

The change to it will be tiresome and costly, as with most, but I think it should be a goal in a 2nd/3rd term for Labour.

Very wary of any labour leader who would make this kind of commitment after attending a Blair speaking event a year into his first term - he answered a floor question about why he committed the party to following such a regressive tory budget with a "we're doing it to build credibility, but wait for how progressively bold we'll be in our second term". There was applause at the time...

But, would like UBI to at least get on the talking agenda...for any that followed conference did it get brought up even in fringe events?

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

So do we think Truss maybe misspoke on the triple lock and that's why she has cancelled her media appointments this afternoon? I wonder if she said it in PMQs so that would be the main takeaway from it. It did grab the headlines. 

Another U-turn imminent?

Maybe but she has tweeted that triple lock is staying so who knows?

5 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Have an upvote for giving me a new retort next time I argue with my brexit-tory loving friend.

Very wary of any labour leader who would make this kind of commitment after attending a Blair speaking event a year into his first term - he answered a floor question about why he committed the party to following such a regressive tory budget with a "we're doing it to build credibility, but wait for how progressively bold we'll be in our second term". There was applause at the time...

But, would like UBI to at least get on the talking agenda...for any that followed conference did it get brought up even in fringe events?

I mean, they'll spout some nonsense about "investing" and "providing housing" but we all know that's a special level of bullshit.

As you say, it's not a first term commitment. At the moment, Labour need to reassure the public of economic competence, then inspire with progressive reforms after, but I hope it will be considered and discussed.

I didn't follow conference closely enough to know .

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

So do we think Truss maybe misspoke on the triple lock and that's why she has cancelled her media appointments this afternoon? I wonder if she said it in PMQs so that would be the main takeaway from it. It did grab the headlines. 

Another U-turn imminent?

Suella Braverman is no longer Home Sec, so I’m guessing it’s that. 

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Suella Braverman is no longer Home Sec, so I’m guessing it’s that. 

Time to grab some MORE popcorn.

Truss really isn't going to last the week is she.

(And I was REALLY enjoying not seeing/hearing bloody shapps on tv justifying endless amounts of ridiculous shit)

1 minute ago, Kurosagi said:

Time to grab some MORE popcorn.

Truss really isn't going to last the week is she.

(And I was REALLY enjoying not seeing/hearing bloody shapps on tv justifying endless amounts of ridiculous shit)

Won’t somebody please think of his spreadsheets!?