news & politics:discussion

zahidf

5 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

After failing to get Corbyn removed by 4 years of mud casting, working against him, the then shadow brexit secretary along with right wing allies worked to get a vote on a second referendum passed in the Labour conference in September 2019.

A snap election was called a month later.

The strapline ’get brexit done’ echoed around the nation for the next couple of months and the rest was history.

That same shadow brexit secretary then got elected as Labour leader on a left wing platform with the backing of the right of the party. A weird combo. Why would people on the right back a guy on a left wing platform? For unity’s sake apparently. Only, evidence has shown that unity was almost the very last thing on their minds, the very last thing being a left wing policy program.

Thats the reality. Deceive yourself if you wish.

I haven’t deceived myself at all, I have said both Brexit and Corbyn are the reasons for Johnson’s landslide in 2019 which is the case.

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

100% - and when you think what we have been through with Covid it would have lead to even more deaths and disaster.  At least Boris retained control during that period even if they did fuck up a lot of things.  Could of been a lot worse.

are you kidding ? .... i mean he missed cobra briefings , locked down late , brought dodgy PPE and had the worst death toll in Europe .... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Watching this shit show has convinced me even more than if Jez had narrowly got over the line against May it would have been a disaster. A PM who can't command the support of their MPs is destined to fail.

I was talking the other day to my Dad that if Starmer had been in charge of Labour in 2017 I think Labour would’ve won that election. 

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

And you think it couldn't of been worse ?  

Take all the political madness we have today and dump it into a crisis like Covid and you would have had a much greater issue.  You have to be totally blinkered to not see that

I mean yeah but it’s not like this shit has ever happened before or will fingers crossed ever happen again 

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Surely you see whatever you think of Boris, if nothing else, he retained the confidence and control of the house and largely the public!  and not having that during the crisis that was Covid could only have resulted in worse outcomes.  You are calling into question what I am saying but really your not looking at the whole and just focusing on the fact Boris got some shit wrong.  

Me saying it would have been worse under Corbyn isn't saying Boris did a great job.  

This was an entirely unique period of history.  Never before had we shut down the globe! 

Untill his parties in Downing Street or before that when DOminic Cummings was checking his eyesight ? Corbyn would have locked down sooner and not scrapped the pandemic preparedness …. Anyway it’s by the by as it’s all just guesses 

26 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

And you think it couldn't of been worse ?  

Take all the political madness we have today and dump it into a crisis like Covid and you would have had a much greater issue.  You have to be totally blinkered to not see that

I've always maintained that the press and Tories would've used any attempt to lock down under Corbyn to say its a communist style takeover of the country. a sort of "see we told you so" type situation. 

Edited by efcfanwirral

4 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I've always maintained that the press and Tories would've used any attempt to lock down under Corbyn to say its a communist style takeover of the country. a sort of "see we told you so" type situation. 

Agree with this. If you support lockdowns the Tories were probably the best party to do it. Similar if people want the NHS reformed that's better coming from Labour. Definitely less pushback

Edited by lost

39 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I was talking the other day to my Dad that if Starmer had been in charge of Labour in 2017 I think Labour would’ve won that election. 

Starmer’s pre-partygate performance suggests otherwise.

Politics in the UK is a zero sum game. Labour’s erstwhile success is a product of the conservative’s abject failure. Nothing more.