news & politics:discussion

zahidf

6 minutes ago, Neil said:

It was a no brainer to think it would happen, only chance for tories to win an election

He's a good campaigner...but the economy is fucked, brexit looks more and more a failure, and I'm not sure if his booster bullshit will cut through any more.

But, he might do better than any of the others.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I think Boris would get back in if put to members. If just MPs though not so sure...

I feel like there should be some rule against standing again so soon but of course there isn't.

I think they'll have a rule where you need (x)% of MPS to vote for you to get in the next round. And they said it needs to be done by next Friday, so hopefully enough MPs vote for people other than the nutters and Boris...

Just now, zahidf said:

I think they'll have a rule where you need (x)% of MPS to vote for you to get in the next round. And they said it needs to be done by next Friday, so hopefully enough MPs vote for people other than the nutters and Boris...

Isn't he like in the Caribbean or something? I wonder if not being physically around will hurt him given the short time frame as he won't be able to hustle for votes.

6 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

I agree, don't think it takes much 'mental gymnastics' to join the dots on this one.

Anyway...Johnson back in the frame...time for me to close my laptop and take the dog for a long walk whilst I come to terms with the beyond parody world we now live in.

Yes, but if we're talking hypothetically, anything can happen. Why would there necessarily have been a breakdown in govt if LT was in power in 2020. Many of the circumstances would have been different to how things have been over the last 2 months.

But my real point is, saying LT (or Corbyn, or indeed anyone) would have been worse than Johnson were she (or they) in power then, isn't really a serious argument, because anyone else can just as justifiably say 'no, she wouldn't have been!'

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Let me spin it around...

In the face of interest rate soaring, costing of living crisis , energy crisis and so on - how much do you think Dave in Bradford cares about party gate and a sexual abuse scandal ?

I know the answer...

Next election I think is about the Tories working out if they want to lose small or lose big...  That is my guess but it also isn't beyond possibility someone like Boris could at least deliver a hung parliament.   A lot of the red wall types who voted for him last time are hardly going to be loving Starmer and co...  

Losing under Boris and then building under someone new would be a good move for them in the long run.

yup because Boris is a serious figure who the public will turn to for economic competence and detail:-O

Here’s an idea - What if this was Johnson’s plan all along!?

Truss was a close ally of his, she’s been weirdly smiley especially in that resignation speech too so maybe this was his master plan all along!?

10 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Truss was a close ally of his, she’s been weirdly smiley especially in that resignation speech too so maybe this was his master plan all along!?

I have no doubt Boris put his weight behind someone he knew would fail to make himself look better. 

Truss will go down as one of the worst PMs in history. Boris probably won't be in that discussion. To me Boris biggest talent was to persuade a load or right wing people that he is right wing as well. The reality is he is to the left of hunt who the right wing torys seem to see as the ultimate wet. Boris doesn't really have any political ideology and is all about promoting himself. 

Providing the bonkers candidates Badenoch and Braverman don't win the next PM will be a move to the left which in my view is a good thing.

7 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Truss will go down as one of the worst PMs in history. Boris probably won't be in that discussion.

He will. He was removed by his own party after a string of scandals, all of his own making.

As this era recedes into his history, i predict both of these two will become benchmarks for the very worst PMs in modern times, punchlines to jokes on HIGNFY or its future equivalent.

25 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’ve been saying this ever since he was forced to resign. It’s all part of their gameplan. 

3 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

He will. He was removed by his own party after a string of scandals, all of his own making.

As this era recedes into his history, i predict both of these two will become benchmarks for the very worst PMs in modern times, punchlines to jokes on HIGNFY or its future equivalent.

Loads of previous PMs have had scandals. What will make out Truss is the length of her leadership. I think you are suffering from recency bias here.

Quick question, seeing comments Boris is cutting his holiday short to come back to UK given he probably wants to run, but why the fuck is he on holiday anyway?! Shouldn’t he be here given Parliament is sitting?

Edited by tigger123

4 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Loads of previous PMs have had scandals. What will make out Truss is the length of her leadership. I think you are suffering from recency bias here.

She was in office for only a few weeks and managed to almost completely crash the economy...and that was with 10 days off for the Queen's mourning.

4 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Quick question, seeing comments he’s cutting his holiday short to come back to UK given he probably wants to run, but why the fuck is he on holiday anyway?! Shouldn’t he be here given Parliament is sitting?

that sort of thing is beneath him.

Don't let him be PM again please, he is a c**t. (and I know I thought he wasn't that bad a few posts ago).