news & politics:discussion

zahidf

37 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I have no doubt Boris put his weight behind someone he knew would fail to make himself look better. 

Truss will go down as one of the worst PMs in history. Boris probably won't be in that discussion. To me Boris biggest talent was to persuade a load or right wing people that he is right wing as well. The reality is he is to the left of hunt who the right wing torys seem to see as the ultimate wet. Boris doesn't really have any political ideology and is all about promoting himself. 

Providing the bonkers candidates Badenoch and Braverman don't win the next PM will be a move to the left which in my view is a good thing.

Maybe I’ve watched too much TV but what if Johnson and Truss were in on it all along? A huge master plan to get him back in No 10?

22 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Quick question, seeing comments Boris is cutting his holiday short to come back to UK given he probably wants to run, but why the fuck is he on holiday anyway?! Shouldn’t he be here given Parliament is sitting?

It's very on brand though

29 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Quick question, seeing comments Boris is cutting his holiday short to come back to UK given he probably wants to run, but why the fuck is he on holiday anyway?! Shouldn’t he be here given Parliament is sitting?

He should be but for some reason he can just swan off in his 2nd holiday in 3 months. 

10 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Maybe I’ve watched too much TV but what if Johnson and Truss were in on it all along? A huge master plan to get him back in No 10?

if it is that it won't be long before he's boasting about having done it.

3 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Which other PMs were removed from office due to scandals?

In the last century there has been Eden due to Suez, Macmillan due to Profumo and Johnson due to Partygate/everything. 

34 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

She was in office for only a few weeks and managed to almost completely crash the economy...and that was with 10 days off for the Queen's mourning.

Sorry I wasn't clear. My point was Truss will be remembered as one of the worst PM due to her disastrous short tenure. Boris won't as he is one of many PM who got caught out by a scandal, we just remember his because it's more recent.

2 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Can it really be anyone other than Rishi/someone that didn't stand in the last election? Isn't putting a runner up/Boris into power so soon after they lost the last contest kinda acknowledging that the process was flawed?

bboris wasn't allowed to stand last time would have won if he had

think there'll be big moves to stop him cos hes under investigation in the commons, but otherwise he's a shoe-in.

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

I think they'll have a rule where you need (x)% of MPS to vote for you to get in the next round. And they said it needs to be done by next Friday, so hopefully enough MPs vote for people other than the nutters and Boris...

Who isn't a nutter that's left?

26 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

what, and plan was to crash the economy and blow tory chances in next election?

I think Johnson simply supported Truss because she was more loyal than Sunak.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

he's a shoe in if it's totally up to the membership...but I don't think it will be.

up to mps not members. they'll want boris cos he'll save them their seats.