news & politics:discussion

zahidf

The spaffing thing was this wasn't it?

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/boris-johnson-slammed-for-saying-money-spent-investigating-historical-child-sex-abuse-is-being-spaffed-up-the-wall

Boris Johnson has been branded "shameless" after he claimed that money spent investigating historic cases of child sex abuse was being “spaffed up the wall”.

2 minutes ago, lost said:

it was from before that; from his attitude to spending public money.

7 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Would the Tories vote down their own PM who just won another mandate from the people ?

If it was Boris...  He would call an election and ask the people to judge him and blunt the investigation.

Id suggest the party would not be brining BJ back to call an immediate general election

This is a good spreadsheet of the leadership race done by some political analyst (supposed to be less misleading than the Guido Fawkes one):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t1MaeGTmOvmOOkUL8TDDJwqTTc-N1wmRxPeRe0k3yjM/edit#gid=0

The columns are interesting as they show who they previously voted for, majority etc but also where they sit on the political compass (my tosser mp sits on the Authoritarian Right, lovely).

Leaderboard tab at the bottom shows where the three horse race is currently at and who they're getting their support from.

3 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Imagine being one of Truss's family or friends (I assume she has friends)

I mean what do you say to her? "it wasn't that bad" "I'm sure no one noticed" really aren't going to cut it right now.

I’d say: ‘ah well, you did a few weeks of work for 100 odd grand for the rest of your life’

6 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Listening to BBC 5 Live is funny...  Tories all arguing like they are Labour lol

i've just switched over from r4, hope it doesn't make me scream at stupid people.

Think there's a few ways we get an election any time soon...next week they can't get behind one candidate and the whole Johnson vs Sunak thing tears the party apart, or next leader gets a massive bounce in polls and calls an election, or after Oct 31st mini budget markets push us close to another economic and political collapse.

I can't stand the thought of Johnson back as PM, it makes me sick to my stomach. But I think the most likely scenario is:

- Johnson gets into the last two but isn't the most popular amongst MPs

- Johnsons ego won't let him compromise and so it goes to the membership

- The Tory blue rinse brigade re-elect Johnson

- A small but not insignificant number of Tory MPs resign the whip/defect

- A majority of Tory MPs won't unite behind him and we end up in exactly the same position as last April

- GE election in May

Edited by Gingerfish79

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Its not breaking the ministerial code: its breaking parliament's rules, so it would be up to parliament by way of a vote.

He could force the MP's to vote against him being suspended, but that would come at a big political cost

so is Mordaunt in charge of this? she'll get offered a top job if she just makes it go away...

15 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

so is Mordaunt in charge of this? she'll get offered a top job if she just makes it go away...

The ruling of the committee goes to the Commons for a vote and if MPs vote to agree with the ruling (say a 10 day suspension) then that is carried out. The government could whip their MPs to not support the ruling but we’d then have the same situation as Owen Paterson.

I know all questions are not stupid but I have one. I always presumed you paid a fixed rate on your mortgage. I have always rented but the last time I looked at a mortgage we could only go sub prime and self assessment. Cut to the chase from renting our house at 600 to buying at 350 per month even with 12% it was a no brainer. I won't bore you with the wherewithal but this was on the cusp of the financial crash but would I still be better off 

35 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Like declining to prosecute jimmy savile or the undercover cops who had kids with climate protesters 

CFFDE5E6-CAE1-4576-AD9C-7D40464185D2.jpeg

Even Bozo the liar apologised for the Saville line, that's how untrue it is. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/feb/03/boris-johnson-backtracks-on-comment-that-starmer-failed-to-prosecute-savile

45 minutes ago, Gingerfish79 said:

I can't stand the thought of Johnson back as PM, it makes me sick to my stomach. But I think the most likely scenario is:

- Johnson gets into the last two but isn't the most popular amongst MPs

- Johnsons ego won't let him compromise and so it goes to the membership

- The Tory blue rinse brigade re-elect Johnson

- A small but not insignificant number of Tory MPs resign the whip/defect

- A majority of Tory MPs won't unite behind him and we end up in exactly the same position as last April

- GE election in May

Maybe they should keep the membership out of it after the mess they made last time.

Does anyone think he can make it to the next planned GE without causing at least 5 scandals? 

With him being around it won’t be the total demolition of the Tories. Labour will still win though. 

Main thing Labour need to do is silence the lunatic side of their party. Don’t attract attention while the Tories are imploding. 

16 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Does anyone think he can make it to the next planned GE without causing at least 5 scandals? 

With him being around it won’t be the total demolition of the Tories. Labour will still win though. 

Main thing Labour need to do is silence the lunatic side of their party. Don’t attract attention while the Tories are imploding. 

Is say of the 3 , mordant , sunak and him he would cause them the most damage … how would he even get a cabinet together when they all resigned last time