news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

some on twatter thinking that Johnson won't stand...crap time to take over, won't like to be 2nd to Sunak in MP votes, better to be the saviour some time in future, and that privileges committee.

I think Boris would be better to sit it out and hope Starmer wins the next election. I think Sunak would be happy to have 2 years in the job and move on.

7 minutes ago, tigger123 said:
1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

I think when JRM loses his seat it will be the happiest day of my life. 

Is he likely to should the tories not win the next election?

Johnson losing his seat (very likely) would be top of my list, particularly if he becomes PM again.

But JRM would be close behind, he represents pretty much everything that is wrong with the tory party and their entitled attitude about being 'born to lead'.

With the current polling JRM would be swept away (along with most of the tory party), but we know that the polling figures at the moment are hugely inflated compared to what is likely to happen at a GE. See the 2019 results below...if the electorate *want* to get rid of him then a deal between LD/Lab would easily see him lose the seat, but if there's no tactical voting then he'll win easily.

JRM Seat.jpg

50 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Johnson losing his seat (very likely) would be top of my list, particularly if he becomes PM again.

But JRM would be close behind, he represents pretty much everything that is wrong with the tory party and their entitled attitude about being 'born to lead'.

With the current polling JRM would be swept away (along with most of the tory party), but we know that the polling figures at the moment are hugely inflated compared to what is likely to happen at a GE. See the 2019 results below...if the electorate *want* to get rid of him then a deal between LD/Lab would easily see him lose the seat, but if there's no tactical voting then he'll win easily.

JRM Seat.jpg

Tactical voting gonna be needed there. The only question is for Labour or Libs? Seems a more Lib Demy type seat but Labour will also want it given the national polls. Decent chance they split the vote and JRM sneaks in unfortunately.

32 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Tactical voting gonna be needed there. The only question is for Labour or Libs? Seems a more Lib Demy type seat but Labour will also want it given the national polls. Decent chance they split the vote and JRM sneaks in unfortunately.

If Johnson becomes PM again (and I can't believe I had to type that), I strongly predict tactical voting on a scale that has never been known in this country; it will be armagideon time for the tory party.

By "campaign source" Mason means someone reading off of the Guido Fawkes spreadsheet, which has been repeatedly called out for inflating the numbers to boost the Johnson campaign. One mp even told them outright to take his name off of their list because he wasn't voting for Johnson!

22 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

By "campaign source" Mason means someone reading off of the Guido Fawkes spreadsheet, which has been repeatedly called out for inflating the numbers to boost the Johnson campaign. One mp even told them outright to take his name off of their list because he wasn't voting for Johnson!

Yeah I saw that was utter crap that list .. just presumed the bbc hadn’t used that and they had a reliable list 

I'm distracting myself from the footy by reading this extended analysis of where we are with Brexit and how it has shaped the modern tory party:

https://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com/2022/10/total-disarray.html

It's a long hard read, but a well referenced overview, would recommend it. This is one of the small glimmers of positivity:

In particular, perverse as it may seem, Truss has done us all a favour with her born-again Brexiter zealotry. For all its costs, having provoked a blow-out may prove to have been the quickest way of discrediting Brexitism and the libertarian, IEA version of Brexit. For Ian Dunt of the i the crisis marks “the end of the age of Brexit”, whilst in the FT Martin Wolf argues that, under Truss, “the Brexit Revolutionaries … over-reached” with the consequence that “maybe, the cold water of economic and political reality is at last breaking the UK’s Brexit fever”. Similarly, Annette Dittert, London Bureau Chief of Germany’s ARD TV, tentatively suggests that Truss’s failure could be the beginning of a turning point away from the “magical thinking” –  whatever the people want they get, so to speak  ­– about sovereignty which runs from the Brexit vote itself through the Johnson-Frost deal through to the mini-budget. She cautions, though, that the way back to pragmatism and realism will be via a long and painful process.