news & politics:discussion

zahidf

54 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

Actually I take your point. There will always be a centrist party that try to get a majority of their own. Yep, I get that.

Except when it's a compromise between parties then *within* purist parties you'll have members arguing about the extent of being 'pragmatic' and how much it dilutes one of their purist policies versus getting another policy adopted. Parties will still need to make that balance between keeping their members happy versus selling their souls.

There will definitely be more splinter groups than that on the left I reckon!

I mean, members arguing is the cornerstone of political parties. You won't ever escape it. But I think the factionalism would stop breaking out into dominating the news cycle over eg. China going even more authoritarian dictator-for-life.

Interestingly a little while ago I saw John McDonnell say that Sunak was pushed by his team into putting the furlough scheme in place as he wasn’t going to do it. I wonder how true that is?

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

Whatever your polticis this is good news for the country.

I’m intrigued … austerity 2.0 is that good news ? Maybe some short term stability but the rifts haven’t suddenly vanished … let’s see how things go over next few weeks / months and maybe make those declarations then … he’s still a fucking Tory though !!! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I don't know about PM, but the way he speaks I reckon he'd do well on jackanory.

(is jackanory on these days? showing my age a bit)

Last episode was 1996, not too far off 😂