news & politics:discussion

zahidf

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Got to say I thought Rishi held his own quite well. Full of shit obviously but he didn't seem daunted by any of the attacks. Going to be a tougher opponent in PMQs than I thought, but hopefully just an initial bounce.

Agreed, what I feared unfortunately. The backbenches definitely got more behind him than they did with Truss too so let's see how long the latest bout of party unity lasts

3 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Agreed, what I feared unfortunately. The backbenches definitely got more behind him than they did with Truss too so let's see how long the latest bout of party unity lasts

Yeah I thought too. Hopefully there is a bit of a honeymoon period and that won't stay the case for long.

I wouldn’t say Sunak was good at all, he didn’t answer any of the questions and when questioned by Starmer on those comments about funnelling funding, Sunak just went off about living in London (when he has 2 properties in London one of which is a mansion).

Going the Johnson route is a shame as we’ll never get anywhere if he does that. 

50 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I wouldn’t say Sunak was good at all, he didn’t answer any of the questions and when questioned by Starmer on those comments about funnelling funding, Sunak just went off about living in London (when he has 2 properties in London one of which is a mansion).

Going the Johnson route is a shame as we’ll never get anywhere if he does that. 

I wasn't talking about the content of what he said, but the way he came across and how authoritative he seemed. He seemed unrattled imo.

I also thought he held his own … obviously straight out the Boris playbook but without the histrionics so it might not work so well longer term . Starmer got in with his lettuce joke . But at some point this needs reform and we need questions answered in a reasonable fashion … 

13 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I wasn't talking about the content of what he said, but the way he came across and how authoritative he seemed. He seemed unrattled imo.

He was certainly better than the press conference on Monday evening and his delivery was better than Truss but that’s not a high bar. 

In order to get PMQs into a state resembling even close to a useful democratic process, the Speaker needs to be replaced or his role completely reformulated. He always comes across as in cahoots with the MPs and in on their rubbish jokes when in reality he should be more detached and actually referee proceedings, including ensuring questions are actually answered...

Yeah, he's better than Truss...but that was a very low bar. He just has to appear sensible and coherent and they may get lucky with budget thing. £35bn sounds bad, but that is a one off...before Hunt reversed tax cuts it was like that much a year...which is why we've had such a massive turn around, new chancellor scrap budget, new PM. Incredible really.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah, he's better than Truss...but that was a very low bar. He just has to appear sensible and coherent and they may get lucky with budget thing. £35bn sounds bad, but that is a one off...before Hunt reversed tax cuts it was like that much a year...which is why we've had such a massive turn around, new chancellor scrap budget, new PM. Incredible really.

A double u turn. A w turn if you like.

1 hour ago, hodgey123 said:

In order to get PMQs into a state resembling even close to a useful democratic process, the Speaker needs to be replaced or his role completely reformulated. He always comes across as in cahoots with the MPs and in on their rubbish jokes when in reality he should be more detached and actually referee proceedings, including ensuring questions are actually answered...

Yeah the speaker is fucking awful.

I’m seeing Sunak during PMQs as Spaffer in a smarter suit and no hangover. Still the same theatre from the backbenches. 

Starmer absolutely ripped through him though and left him unable to answer. 

Think Sunak is getting an easy ride as it was his first PMQs but I can see him faltering as the support from the backbenches fade. 

10 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’m seeing Sunak during PMQs as Spaffer in a smarter suit and no hangover. Still the same theatre from the backbenches. 

Starmer absolutely ripped through him though and left him unable to answer. 

Think Sunak is getting an easy ride as it was his first PMQs but I can see him faltering as the support from the backbenches fade. 

He’ll also get an easy ride because he’s a Tory. That’s what happens in this country.

10 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

the rest might be true ..... but what the hell  is the lol for ?  there is nothing funny about the torys getting in again ? 

When you spend 3 years building your brand as being the only ’sensible in the room’ and then they put another sensible in the room.

89FE0F54-CB49-49CA-9D0F-CD05B5108E9D.jpeg

Edited by mattiloy

Other than boris you’ve had 30 years of ’’sensibles in the room’

War mongering, asset stripping, austerity inflicting, tax dodging, cash for honoursing sensibles in the room

Your country is doomed so long as you keep voting for these mirthless squares as your masters 

edit: not that boris was any good, just that the rest were also shit. And that sunak and Starmer are completely fucking shit.

Edited by mattiloy