news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Not sure I agree that Sunak will now lead tories to victory, the poll leads have been massive recently and that is a big gap to close, but he certainly poses a new challenge for Labour. As far as I know he is on the right economicallly like Cameron/Osborne, probably agrees with Truss' low tax low regulation ideas, but would never do anything so reckless as try and do it all in one go when economy already has so many other problems.

But, also he is polished, all shiny and new, big smile, talks to you like he cares etc., which Truss really didn't have, she just came across as shit and that she couldn't give a shit.

So, he might close the gap, Tories may even win, and then mattiloy can come on here and jeer at us and say about how shit starmer is and all those state owned green energy companies and nationalised rail plans will be down the toilet but yeah ha ha ha teach you lot for voting in sensible people or something and then we can enjoy rishiconomics for the rest of the decade as UK plc is fully taken over by the city.

32 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

8.2 billion profits for Shell in 3 months .... nice 

Nice to know a large chunk of that will be making it’s way into the UK economy due to the large windfall tax policy our government has on energy companies. 

Hang on, something isn’t right about my last sentence. 

3 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Nice to know a large chunk of that will be making it’s way into the UK economy due to the large windfall tax policy our government has on energy companies. 

Hang on, something isn’t right about my last sentence. 

The news was saying sunak has taxed them now … didn’t catch by how much though 

13 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Same account he taxes his wife, whatever she wants to pay.

whatever they want to pay is how tax has worked for big business for the last 30-ish years, its been well reported over that time. companies saying they';ll tie hmrc up in the courts for years, or they'll pay what they decide.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Without a doubt getting Sunak in over Truss is going to improve confidence in the Conservatives... problem for them though is that a revolving door of PMs, multiple scandals along with well publicised chaos and infighting means that the stink is on the party as a whole. They're not going to scapegoat their way out of this one.

I hope the 'Conservatives have been in power for 12 years and it's all a bit shit' message is starting to cutting through. I also think rich boy Sunak will struggle to present himself as the right person to represent those who can't pay their bills this winter.

16 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Without a doubt getting Sunak in over Truss is going to improve confidence in the Conservatives... problem for them though is that a revolving door of PMs, multiple scandals along with well publicised chaos and infighting means that the stink is on the party as a whole. They're not going to scapegoat their way out of this one.

I hope the 'Conservatives have been in power for 12 years and it's all a bit shit' message is starting to cutting through. I also think rich boy Sunak will struggle to present himself as the right person to represent those who can't pay their bills this winter.

yeah, we'll see. Tories looking all divided and Labour united at moment, just have to see how that holds if Tories start polling better and Labour start getting nervous. Tories very good at uniting when they need to, i.e. when an election on the way. And if there is a problem, they're good at fixing it. Johnson was a problem, kicked him out. Truss and her budget were a problem, replace chancellor, reverse budget, replace Truss. Would Labour do same if markets and polling had reacted the same way after a Corbyn/McDonnell budget?

Edited by steviewevie
  • Upvote 1

The polls will narrow, I reckon Labours lead will fall to about 10% which is roughly where it was before Truss took over.

Interestingly in another poll the decent personal ratings for Sunak were coming from remain, LAB/LD voters. So as time goes on and with the Braverman issue ongoing those voters will likely move away from Sunak which will leave him in a tough spot if he can’t win around leave, Con voters. He might well do that but it’s not clear that he will. 

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The polls will narrow, I reckon Labours lead will fall to about 10% which is roughly where it was before Truss took over.

Interestingly in another poll the decent personal ratings for Sunak were coming from remain, LAB/LD voters. So as time goes on and with the Braverman issue ongoing those voters will likely move away from Sunak which will leave him in a tough spot if he can’t win around leave, Con voters. He might well do that but it’s not clear that he will. 

10% would be close to Labour winning but not having a majority, right?

59 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Would Labour do same if markets and polling had reacted the same way after a Corbyn/McDonnell budget?

Seem to remember McDonnell hinting at capital controls if there was a run on the pound following his budget.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

but then ruled it out...?

Not sure if he did. I couldn't seeing him backing Corbyn's and his removal and then an ex-Goldmans Sach's guy being put in place to calm the markets though.

5 hours ago, Neil said:

whatever they want to pay is how tax has worked for big business for the last 30-ish years, its been well reported over that time. companies saying they';ll tie hmrc up in the courts for years, or they'll pay what they decide.

Oh I'm aware. I'm just pointing out it's the same shit.