news & politics:discussion

zahidf

Just now, steviewevie said:

Biden not getting punished so much for state of economy means tories might not get punished so much either?

or maybe it's the fact that the alternative is unhinged conspiracy theorist loony evangelical gun toting w*nker red necks which we haven't got, we just got that nice guy starmer.

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Biden not getting punished so much for state of economy means tories might not get punished so much either?

Tories in power for 14 odd years by next election and the worst is likely yet to come.

Saw something about Biden using fuel reserves to keep prices down in the run up to the mid terms too.

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

or maybe it's the fact that the alternative is unhinged conspiracy theorist loony evangelical gun toting w*nker red necks which we haven't got, we just got that nice guy starmer.

I imagine it’s probably more this. Plus the Dems haven’t been in power like the Tories have for 12 years and haven’t played a key role in crashing the economy.

Looking at the numbers its the pro-Trump candidates that have done badly whilst someone like DeSantis has turned a slim majority into a solid one in a swing state like Florida.

I think the story here is its not nailed on now for Trump to be the 2024 republican choice.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I thought the young were supposed to be fascists these days?

My understanding as a millennial is that there are some gen z influenced into becoming fascists by following meninist propaganda online, but otherwise mostly left leaning.

13 minutes ago, lost said:

Looking at the numbers its the pro-Trump candidates that have done badly whilst someone like DeSantis has turned a slim majority into a solid one in a swing state like Florida.

I think the story here is its not nailed on now for Trump to be the 2024 republican choice.

and Biden more likely to go for a 2nd term...?

Florida is becoming more red than purple?

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

and Biden more likely to go for a 2nd term...?

I've always seen that as an age thing rather than support 81 till 85?

Actually he'll be two weeks off 86.

Edited by lost

7 minutes ago, lost said:

I've always seen that as an age thing rather than support 81 till 85?

Actually he'll be two weeks off 86.

yes, he's old and that might put him off...but some were saying these mid terms were a referendum on his 1st two years and he hasn't done as badly as expected, so if he can be arsed he may well give it a go...

8 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Although when the allegations were dismissed Athwal comfortably beat Tarry. I guess the Corbyn supporters will be happy the members eventually got what they wanted.

If Athwal best represents the Labour members in his constituency then yes, I’m happy that they got their man.

I’d don’t know if i’d call it comfortable though - 58% to 42% - given that Labour also lost nearly a third of their membership in the time between Tarry being selected and then deselected, with leavers presumably almost entirely on the left, then its says to me that there was strong residual support for Tarry in spite of everything.

I feel like the move towards the party as a mass member oriented movement based on democracy was the way to go. Along the current road, only greater political apathy lies.

6 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

So the same "I don't like the result therefore I'm going to say it's undemocratic" nonsense loads of Corbyn cultists spout.

Cool story bro 

Absolutely bizarre take. Hows the weather up their in cloud cuckoo land?

30 minutes ago, Neil said:

I support the nurses going on strike. Say it loud, before they're labelled killers. 

As do I. This wouldn’t happen under a Labour government.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

This was astonishing. Is Sunak so out of his depth he isn’t even aware when the Starmer finished asking his question?

Not so sure he's rattled more just ignoring him, treating him as an irrelevance and beneath him. I reckon that's a lot more along the lines of what Sunak is actually like, the idea he's out of his depth in some way only makes him seem less dangerous than he actually is I reckon

4 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

My understanding as a millennial is that there are some gen z influenced into becoming fascists by following meninist propaganda online, but otherwise mostly left leaning.

Yes, I’ve heard older Tories claiming the ‘Wokerati’ is full of fascists and are far worse than genuine racists etc.