news & politics:discussion

zahidf

6 minutes ago, cellar said:

On the face of it this has been a pretty good budget, still interested to get into the OBR detail though, and see where the complimentary references were cherry picked from.

Came across as very "new labour" wouldn't be surprised with a similar Ken Clarke to Gordon Brown handover here, as Gordon stuck with the economic projections until sept 11th happened I could see Labour sticking with this till 2028.

6 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

so personally do I get any help with things .... ? low income but not on UC .... minimum wage increase in April ... but that will be far outbalanced by inflation and fuel increase ? 

Not really. 

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Labour response is poor - all moaning - no real ideas how to do it differently...  She is very weak

Agreed. Reeves is poor. Both hers and Starmer’s oratory style is like a boring person trying to force drama into their speech. With the effect of somehow making it even more boring.

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Don't support the wasting of billions then.  We had this conversation yesterday.  Time to wear big boy pants and stop the crying.

ive never supported the wasting of billions .... i thing you forgot my responses ( I think we have different definitions of wasting ) 

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

@cellar one for you. 

Thanks, I've already made a start on it, like a kid on Christmas morning.

Always impressed by the professionalism of the OBR, even more this year. Their timeline of uncertainty over the last few months must have been a nightmare to deal with.

"In the 16 weeks since then, we have produced seven forecast rounds under three Prime Ministers and three Chancellors, working towards three official forecast dates. And this final published forecast reflects policies announced in five major fiscal statements since March."

Hats off to them.

Edited by cellar

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Largely the view point of many sadly...

I like austerity as its us dealing with our problems today.

Really  does depend how it is done, but understand that we should be helping to pay some of the debt we made.

Heard something the other day that made me sudder. 2015 was when we paid back the debt that we took out to pay slave owners for loss of"Assets". 

7 minutes ago, cellar said:

Thanks, I've already made a start on it, like a kid on Christmas morning.

Always impressed by the professionalism of the OBR, even more this year. Their timeline of uncertainty over the last few months must have been a nightmare to deal with.

"In the 16 weeks since then, we have produced seven forecast rounds under three Prime Ministers and three Chancellors, working towards three official forecast dates. And this final published forecast reflects policies announced in five major fiscal statements since March."

Hats off to them.

Pretty strange Christmas 😉

They do look like a hard working bunch tbf to them. 

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I get the argument but in reality, in my life, I don't really...  I get very little help and support from the government.   

I got the last energy fix so the hand outs for the energy cap is going to pay for a new boiler.  Happy days.  Putting the money away each month 🙂 

Had a new boiler a couple of years back. Makes a difference.  Not a heat pump then 

27 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Looking at the tax changes...    Looking like my household will be about £113 worse off a month.  

Thank fuck I fixed my mortgage and energy.  Going to have to reduce the wine bill.

I went the other way and didn't fix energy. Saved myself quite a bit each month. Finger in the air job though at the time.

So the decision to freeze tax thresholds, rather than lift them in line with inflation, means millions of people will pay more tax due to “fiscal drag” which is essentially a stealth tax. On top of that it’s looking like council will go up by 5% as councils no longer have to have a referendum on that due to this budget. Plus energy bills going up to £3k a year at least.

This is going to put such a strain on people and is why I said to look at the fine print of the budget.