news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Yeah that is great!

I'd be very happy if Starmer introduced electoral reform, and I also think it'd be best done at once, ie commons and lords simultaneously, but any progress is great. Typically the solution has been to cram it full of their own cronies.

19 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I'd be very happy if Starmer introduced electoral reform, and I also think it'd be best done at once, ie commons and lords simultaneously, but any progress is great. Typically the solution has been to cram it full of their own cronies.

Yeah I agree.

The bits about further devolution are good too. 

12 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Ohhhhhhh Aaaaandy Buuuurnham

Ruffling the feathers of right wing extremists like Lee Harpin. Last week backing Ian Byrne, this week Burgon. Is Burnham setting up his stall as the stalking horse of the left?

0FDEEE30-C34D-4B97-AF41-012CF2D90880.jpeg

Burnham only route to the labour leadership is to hoover up the left support which is why I always expected him to move left. There will be so much pressure for labour to pick a female leader next that I can't see Burnham competing as the moderate candidate where all the high profile females will be. Seeing how bad RLB was in the last leadership campaign there seems to be more space there.

9 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Burnham only route to the labour leadership is to hoover up the left support which is why I always expected him to move left. There will be so much pressure for labour to pick a female leader next that I can't see Burnham competing as the moderate candidate where all the high profile females will be. Seeing how bad RLB was in the last leadership campaign there seems to be more space there.

Reeves is the obvious right wing candidate. Burnham vs Reeves is a Burnham (W). He’d be so far in front he’d have lapped her twice 

3 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

And sure Starmer looks safe for now poll wise, but he’s also pretty old and not in great shape, seems to be a heavy drinker. With the added strain of the next GE campaign, its a recipe for a massive heart attack.

erm Starmer 60 .... Corbyn 73 ..... Biden 80 ... dont think age is a barrier ? 

24 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

It could potentially be between Raynor, Reeves and Nandy?

3 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

erm Starmer 60 .... Corbyn 73 ..... Biden 80 ... dont think age is a barrier ? 

Starmer a possible alcoholic with too much visceral fat and probably overweight per his BMI. Corbyn and Biden both in decent physical condition.

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

Ohhhhhhh Aaaaandy Buuuurnham

Ruffling the feathers of right wing extremists like Lee Harpin. Last week backing Ian Byrne, this week Burgon. Is Burnham setting up his stall as the stalking horse of the left?

0FDEEE30-C34D-4B97-AF41-012CF2D90880.jpeg

Andy Burnham is a massive vote chaser with no principles.

Burgon has fewer brain cells than there are letters in his name.

18 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Andy Burnham is a massive vote chaser with no principles.

Burgon has fewer brain cells than there are letters in his name.

Agreed Burnham is the labour version of Liz Truss who will change his political ideals when it suits. It worked for her (in terms of getting in power, but not keeping it) so we will see if it works for him.

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

Reeves is the obvious right wing candidate. Burnham vs Reeves is a Burnham (W). He’d be so far in front he’d have lapped her twice 

I think Reeves is too tied to Starmer. They rise or fall together. Burnham has one big disadvantage that he isn't an MP. If he wanted to succeed Starmer he would need to get a seat in time.