news & politics:discussion

zahidf

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

As always... you avoid the issue being raised.

Couldn’t give a toss about seeing some flags and fireworks … more important to me is the issues raised about human rights etc . So good on them for providing a bit of balance . Oh and Qatar also controlling a narrative not just the bbc 

Edited by Crazyfool01
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

I know you are clever than this...

I don't think we should be in Qatar...  doesn't make me think this is the right way for the BBC to behave..

Dangerous times and we need an impartial bbc more than ever 

That's your version of impartial, merely covering something hugely controversial without comment. 

I'm proud of them for having a spine. 

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

I know you are clever than this...

I don't think we should be in Qatar...  doesn't make me think this is the right way for the BBC to behave..

Dangerous times and we need an impartial bbc more than ever 

The balance is that the bbc are broadcasting umpteen hours of this World Cup … how long was the political message ? If anything for balance it could be argued it should be longer , and an ideal time to give it some balance is before kick off of the first game 

1 minute ago, clarkete said:

That's your version of impartial, merely covering something hugely controversial without comment. 

Does what they are doing really take much spine. To me it's the equivalent of the man u yellow and green scarf protest. It's ticking a box that you have shown some level of protest, without really protesting.

4 minutes ago, clarkete said:

The BBC should be applauded for it, standing up against an human rights record is a good thing. 

Just now, steviewevie said:

it wasn't a protest, it was discussing it.

As with these discussions how many are willing to turn the money down and make a true stand where they could still have the discussion. I would have huge respect for anyone taking that stand, but they are all taking the bullshit Neville response of using the platform to highlight concerns.

Personally I'm not watching. We don't have any control over who was awarded the world cup. We do though have control over which countries/people own our premier league clubs and when we don't appear to give a shit about that it does come across as virtue signalling.

31 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

That damn Gary Neville who provided hotels for hospital workers during covid .. how dare he have a platform and share  opinions what a truely terrible human being . What an awful woke leftie … wonder how many on here have defund the bbc in their twitter profiles 

Surely it's possible to praise him for doing something good, but still call out his hypocrisy about Qatar.

The concerns to me (like the last world cup) is people will talk about how bad things are, but nothing really changes. In general for all the criticism of Qatar, players, media and fans are unwilling to make a stand against it by boycotting the thing. I get the impression a lot of the discussion is people trying to justify to themselves their own personal decisions.

3 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Surely it's possible to praise him for doing something good, but still call out his hypocrisy about Qatar.

The concerns to me (like the last world cup) is people will talk about how bad things are, but nothing really changes. In general for all the criticism of Qatar, players, media and fans are unwilling to make a stand against it by boycotting the thing. I get the impression a lot of the discussion is people trying to justify to themselves their own personal decisions.

They're attempting to clean up FIFA aren't they? so maybe it doesn't go to horrid countries in future just nice woke ones like us.

25 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

They're attempting to clean up FIFA aren't they? so maybe it doesn't go to horrid countries in future just nice woke ones like us.

The next WC is in Canada, US and Mexico...

18 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11449943/David-Beckham-watches-stands-opening-ceremony.html

David giving zero fucks and earning £10 million in the process...   Golden Balls indeed 

who ever thought he did give a fuck for anything but himself?

25 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I wonder if Gary Linker will have anything to say on the issue... Clearly we can't take the World Cup to the USA....

So Qatar is a stupid choice for a world cup, and calling it out is right. The migrant worker deaths is an exceptional thing, as are their tactics regarding the ban on homophobia (eg luring gay men). It also had 0 infrastructure already in place, which made it much harder, and more likely that the stadia will become white elephants.