news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Agree but time is what will show the electorate how damaging the mistake is when it hits their pockets and standards of living start to drop 

Problem with those is pinning the effects to specifically  brexit. 

23 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Tory ERG and Farage types go into meltdown if anyone mentions even a shit load of deals like Switzerland has, think it will take a long time...but yeah, if govt wants growth than probably going to have to be closer ties...and probably more freedom of movement...

so my thoughts would be 12 years or so after the vote we talk about the next one ? lib dems will be a bit of a test bed voter wise as how things are starting to go in next election interesting to see if they campaign on the rejoin thing .... hopefully the erg and farage become less relevant ... 

polling is starting to shift ... interesting to see how it plays out ..... even the bbc are now starting to question it in interviews ( 

Opinion was always going to shift as it won't stick with a bad idea. 

5 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

so my thoughts would be 12 years or so after the vote we talk about the next one ? lib dems will be a bit of a test bed voter wise as how things are starting to go in next election interesting to see if they campaign on the rejoin thing .... hopefully the erg and farage become less relevant ... 

maybe...will all depend on how economy is doing I guess.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

maybe...will all depend on how economy is doing I guess.

Within the next Parliament I think we’ll start to see a shift towards realignment with the EU. We can’t rejoin for a while as they won’t let us but we’ll definitely get closer. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Within the next Parliament I think we’ll start to see a shift towards realignment with the EU. We can’t rejoin for a while as they won’t let us but we’ll definitely get closer. 

reeves has just ruled it out 😞 think labour should be treading a bit more carefully than that at this point .... but interesting to see how it plays out 

26 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

reeves has just ruled it out 😞 think labour should be treading a bit more carefully than that at this point .... but interesting to see how it plays out 

Labour have to rule it out as otherwise the Tories would jump on them and say they want to reopen old arguments and polling shows people don’t want that grief.

Labour will bring about a softer Brexit even with realignment of certain aspects and I dare say in the next Parliament we’ll see more Tories open to the idea as well. 

14 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Labour have to rule it out as otherwise the Tories would jump on them and say they want to reopen old arguments and polling shows people don’t want that grief.

Labour will bring about a softer Brexit even with realignment of certain aspects and I dare say in the next Parliament we’ll see more Tories open to the idea as well. 

It’s a fine balance … I’d imagine soon the polls will shift as they already are … and a more neutral stance might be more productive. But hopefully many more of the anti leavers vote Lib Dem next time 

It’s a fine balance … I’d imagine soon the polls will shift as they already are … and a more neutral stance might be more productive. But hopefully many more of the anti leavers vote Lib Dem next time 

Yeah it is a fine balance partly because the key voters in swing seats Labour need to win over aren’t that majorly fusses about going back on Brexit yet so they have to say what they are saying now.

It is made slightly easier for Labour because they have a bulk of remain voters anyway who will more than likely still be voting Labour (or whoever tactically) to get the Tories out. 

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Problem is, it comes with all the rules we used to have opt outs on, we won't have any of them. 

14 minutes ago, Neil said:

Problem is, it comes with all the rules we used to have opt outs on, we won't have any of them. 

Well yeah, we shouldn’t have left in the first place.

1 hour ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Interesting point but I think Germany and France will say no. I would.

The EU probably wouldn’t allow us to rejoin while our system is set up that allows a new government to come in and then take us back out again or starts the argument back up again. They don’t want the hassle of us if we have any risk of it happening again. 

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

So you are no longer in favour of covid restrictions?  It was only back in Feb you was accusing the government of murder lol

I think you need to check my posts and present an accurate picture … in feb I was cautiously in favour of opening up … as for China the situation is very different there as I’m sure you are well aware … low vaccine uptake amongst the elderly , a poor vaccine and very authoritarian regime … not a great mix ..hopefully the virus has mutated enough so as to not cause them many issues with lower numbers having had it .