news & politics:discussion

zahidf

7 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Let's hope they fall by shit loads then.

It would be fantastic for young people but I think we are more likely to see another 2008 where they raise until something breaks and then believe they have to reinflate the bubble again to avoid a depression.

I think prices bottomed at something like 2.7 times average incomes in 1996/7. As you pointed out, labour took prices out of the inflation index in the 2000's and really if they'd kept them in and tried to keep them at between 3 and 4 times average earnings we wouldn't be in this mess. Sadly I think governments will just keep reinflating and kicking the can down the road.

2 minutes ago, lost said:

It would be fantastic for young people but I think we are more likely to see another 2008 where they raise until something breaks and then believe they have to reinflate the bubble again to avoid a depression.

I think prices bottomed at something like 2.7 times average incomes in 1996/7. As you pointed out, labour took prices out of the inflation index in the 2000's and really if they'd kept them in and tried to keep them at between 3 and 4 times average earnings we wouldn't be in this mess. Sadly I think governments will just keep reinflating and kicking the can down the road.

The issues we are seeing now are in no small part still cause of 2008. 

I get what you are saying but I am not sure they can do too much without fuelling inflation more. Back in 2008 inflation wasn't at 10% or close so dropping interest rates to near 0 and massive quantitative easing could and did happen. QE is being actively reversed at the moment and the BoE needs to tame inflation and the only lever they really have for that is keeping interest rates high

12 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

The issues we are seeing now are in no small part still cause of 2008. 

I get what you are saying but I am not sure they can do too much without fuelling inflation more. Back in 2008 inflation wasn't at 10% or close so dropping interest rates to near 0 and massive quantitative easing could and did happen. QE is being actively reversed at the moment and the BoE needs to tame inflation and the only lever they really have for that is keeping interest rates high

I think we will see something similar to what we've just had regarding the UK bond market nearly blowing pensions up, targeted QE. We've just had the strange situation of new QE and rising interest rates at the same time so central banks appear to believe they can still prop up one asset price (gilts) whilst targeting demand for others and I can see the same happening if others fall too low.

I just can't see governments letting baby boomers go into retirement with decades of capital appreciation wiped out. I was in the same position position in 2008 and I do strongly believe we'd of had a return to normal if central banks hadn't come up with QE but clearly they believed the risk of a depression would of been worse.

Edited by lost

36 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Hancock not standing 😀

Love island next?

there was a time when I thought the only way to influence the public debate was in parliament’ but now ‘I’ve realised there’s far more it than that.’ 

Edited by lost

1 hour ago, lost said:

I just can't see governments letting baby boomers go into retirement with decades of capital appreciation wiped out

I think inflation will stop them doing much. Any intervention will just add to inflation imo.

1 hour ago, lost said:

I was in the same position position in 2008 and I do strongly believe we'd of had a return to normal if central banks hadn't come up with QE but clearly they believed the risk of a depression would of been worse.

I agree. Help to buy did not help either then the covid boom too, you can see both clearly on this graph. Makes me think we are inline for a big correction.

My parents bought their house in 1993 ish for 85k or so, sold recently for 440k. It is totally and utterly bonkers and needs correcting.

house price chart

21 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

The silence from the back benches said everything. 

I wonder if he said something about this Mone scandal that could be disproved at any stage?

49 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I wonder if he said something about this Mone scandal that could be disproved at any stage?

Why is Rishi shocked to hear about this today when this article was published over a year ago?!

https://www.ft.com/content/a487276a-9f6d-4052-a049-51061030bc79

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

How did Mone earn her title anyway? Services to making women look good half naked? 

Cameron gave her the peerage I think, no idea what for. 

It’s pretty staggering that after hosting COP last year the Tories will go ahead and commission a new coal mine to open. Just like most things with the Tories, they don’t care.