news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Corbyn PM, pincher by name, pincher by nature chancellor, Webbe home secretary, Hancock foreign secretary, the SNP who ignored the covid test health secretary. What could go wrong!!

When you list some of those names it seems crazy that there isn’t an easier method of recalling MPs. I know Webbe is appealing her conviction but it seems odd that so many can remain as MPs. 

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

Looks like I am out of efestivals jail

did you get a ban lol, what for?

House prices dropping - but not enough to let fray buy one (yet)

Could have bought one any time, there's 2 of us so it isn't so bad, would rather they dropped 30% though. I'm away to asia for 6 months soon so can't buy now anyway. Hopefully in a year or so.

21 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Yeah I was just joking.  I think your one of the few who will benefit from a house price drop but I think most the country won't.

House price drops will lead to market stagnation, people being unable to move due to negative equity and it being more expensive to borrow money.  So most people won't find entering the market any easier.

It seems around here house prices are pretty stable.  We do have a lot of Hong Kong people buying up property though and they are cash rich.

On the contrary, I think almost all of society benefits from lower house prices for a few reasons:

1) first time buyers can actually have a shot of getting a home without crippling themselves 

2)if you're upsizing from a 2 bed flat to a 3 bed house, ok your flat may have dropped in value but so has the house so the gap is likely easier to bridge

In terms of who doesn't benefit? Pensioners and boomers who bought a house for 10 pence and are howling that it might drop a bit. I dont't care. Also scummy BTL landlords, again don't care about them.

Why do you say only a few people would benefit?

Just now, Crazyfool01 said:

Food pantry’s the new name for food banks .. can the country take another 2 years of this bollocks 

I saw that and genuinely thought she was talking about businesses opening but they are bragging about food banks being opened? They are horrid. 

Spare a thought for the homeless on a day like today. There's a poor old sod living in a shack just down the road from me, I hope the nearby flats have adopted him and invite him in for a cuppa and a warm up now and then. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

I saw that and genuinely thought she was talking about businesses opening but they are bragging about food banks being opened? They are horrid. 

It’s absolutely bizarre … I think there are now more foodbanks than branches of Mac Donald’s …. All under the Tory’s in the last 12 years …. Now being used by nhs staff and civil servants 

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

It’s absolutely bizarre … I think there are now more foodbanks than branches of Mac Donald’s …. All under the Tory’s in the last 12 years …. Now being used by nhs staff and civil servants 

There’s a level of evil to be bragging about opening these things when they can control if they are needed at all.

This is even before we talk about warm banks!

25 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Not sure you can call it evil when someone does something like this...

I totally accept her party has been in power for 12 years and need to own the problems...  but to say there is a level of evil here is frankly ridiculous...

Disagree … there’s a very big difference between that and going on social media promoting the great jobs they are doing by visiting them . It’s rubbing salt in the wounds of people that have to visit them 

5 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Disagree … there’s a very big difference between that and going on social media promoting the great jobs they are doing by visiting them . It’s rubbing salt in the wounds of people that have to visit them 

Yes indeed, she’s going on social media promoting the opening of food banks for political gain when her party is the main reason for them existing. There is a level of evil there. 

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

But its promoting their existence and how you access them ?  How do you know about them if they are not promoted ? 

Yeah I get the self serving bit - but that isn't evil...  

If it was a labour MP you would be all over it saying how wonderful they are...

You’ve clearly not met my mp who loves a photo op … I think people are pretty clear they exist right now and don’t need promotion from Tory mps who created the issue … fair play to anyone that gives time to help out if this was members of another party that didn’t cause the issue . 

5 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

In my area a good pantry is different to a food bank. The local pantry takes things like fruit and veg and I think some meat and anyone go. The food bank is longer life stuff and restrictions who can use it.

I think that’s why I didn’t realise what she was talking about when I saw the tweet originally. A pantry sounds like a fancy cafe. 

But its promoting their existence and how you access them ?  How do you know about them if they are not promoted ? 

As if people are following her on twitter to see if there is a food Bank in their area 😄

But you never know I guess. I would have thought Google be better

8 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I would imagine the locals aren't as asposed to her as the people here

Maybe. Just can't imagine many people following their local MP to get information. Maybe just me and most people do. 

Do you?

Mine is Rees Moog 😀 I don't follow him

28 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

It obviously doesn't , 5 people on efestivals, with twitter posters. Can't really think her local people are following her.

I wonder why he’s so desperate to protect a Tory Minister…