news & politics:discussion

zahidf

24 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, the poor things. I'd much rather be wiping some old man's bum.

agreed.. especially in some parts of the country you'll end up with more at the end of the month.

I wonder if many Banks want to un ring fence their business after spending millions setting it up not that long ago.

Depends what they mean by deregulation. I can see it being done wrong by this lot of course.   If they were putting in place less capitalisation of Banks, but with targets on loans to business then there could be some sense in it. 

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I mean...I don't know...just a guess...but before were there a lot of people who would normally tick tory not doing so because of shit Johnson or shit Truss but now more are ticking tory because Sunak a bit more sensible/boring?

actually tories were polling better under johnson...maybe that was all those salt of the earth racist red wall voters.

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I mean...I don't know...just a guess...but before were there a lot of people who would normally tick tory not doing so because of shit Johnson or shit Truss but now more are ticking tory because Sunak a bit more sensible/boring?

There’s definitely some of that, the polls were always going to close and Sunak has made the Tories less toxic it seems. 

11 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

They have 2 other independents (including Bernie) who act like democrats. I doubt it will make much difference, other than potentially splitting the vote and letting republicans in next time.

I had no idea Sanders was an Independent. How did he get to bid for Democrat presidential candidate?

On 12/9/2022 at 7:24 PM, Ozanne said:

I knew this tbf. But the nomination field is usually open - at the last US election, the Dems had lots of people not in their Senate/Representatives running, the most bizarre of which possibly being Michael Bloomberg in his failed attempt to be a Blue Trump.

Even if my main memory of both of Sanders' primaries being him played on SNL by Larry David from Curb Your Enthusiasm, who is a genuine distant relative.

2 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I knew this tbf. But the nomination field is usually open - at the last US election, the Dems had lots of people not in their Senate/Representatives running, the most bizarre of which possibly being Michael Bloomberg in his failed attempt to be a Blue Trump.

Even if my main memory of both of Sanders' primaries being him played on SNL by Larry David from Curb Your Enthusiasm, who is a genuine distant relative.

Isn’t that good in theory as it can lead to a decent level of discussion and a broad spectrum of ideas?

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Isn’t that good in theory as it can lead to a decent level of discussion and a broad spectrum of ideas?

I mean, it depends who comes through. The Republican extension of the tent allowed Trump into the tent in 2015/16 and we're still living with the consequences of that. But I guess he's an outlier given his first time was somebody who hasn't previously been in US politics or in the military earning the Presidential nomination.

49 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I mean, it depends who comes through. The Republican extension of the tent allowed Trump into the tent in 2015/16 and we're still living with the consequences of that. But I guess he's an outlier given his first time was somebody who hasn't previously been in US politics or in the military earning the Presidential nomination.

I suppose so although Trump was a Democrat supporter originally so he might not be the best example 😆