news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Govt seems to be lumping all professions on strike in same boat...but there are significant differences...and surely nurse pay is one thing they should try and negotiate and reach a settlement...govt aren't going to win that PR battle.

Back in the 70s the Govt answer was pay restraint so no one got a rise bigger than others. Reckon the nurses are going to get a decent win in some way as its a pr battle the Govt can't win. 

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Hey @pink_triangle@pink_triangle  as you work in community care do you have a long list of stuff you're not allowed to do. 

Not really, but I have a caseload and don't do adhoc stuff, so easier to manage. I think those like community nurses who constantly have new stuff coming on and off (pluse having to fit things in at short notice) are probably more restricted, it's also a bit of a postcode lottery even within a county.

37 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Not really, but I have a caseload and don't do adhoc stuff, so easier to manage. I think those like community nurses who constantly have new stuff coming on and off (pluse having to fit things in at short notice) are probably more restricted, it's also a bit of a postcode lottery even within a county.

are you allowed to help a person on the stairs?

3 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

https://thebristolcable.org/2022/12/where-can-you-afford-to-rent/

Shows how tough it is to find affordable properties.

i've been looking at what options i'd have if i moved from here, narrowed my needs down to somewhere with a wet room, cos with a wet room i could shower myself, and then i'm halfway there. 🙂 i'd stay within bristol as i'm already connected to the health services i need, and theyre less available anywhere else.

nothing to rent with a wet room, best bet would be to buy myself a small retirement flat lots of choice at about £150k (which is about what i'd have to spend if we sold this place).with luck, there'd be on-site assisstance at a place like that (my mum's place has assistance it's free (cos the  cost is within the huge yearly fees).

Edited by Neil

47 minutes ago, Neil said:

i've been looking at what options i'd have if i moved from here, narrowed my needs down to somewhere with a wet room, cos with a wet room i could shower myself, and then i'm halfway there. 🙂 i'd stay within bristol as i'm already connected to the health services i need, and theyre less available anywhere else.

nothing to rent with a wet room, best bet would be to buy myself a small retirement flat lots of choice at about £150k (which is about what i'd have to spend if we sold this place).with luck, there'd be on-site assisstance at a place like that (my mum's place has assistance it's free (cos the  cost is within the huge yearly fees). i don't much like how my ability to live a near-normal life is subject to my wife's moods.

My gran used to have a small retirement flat, with all the assistance covered by huge fees. I was very impressed with how it was done, albeit without knowing the costs.

Had some first hand experience of nhs problems today … a colleague had a suspected stroke which apparently would be a category 2 call … the ambulance wait time was 2 hours … we had no first aider at work today ( not sure the rules on that ) they put out a tannoy and fortunately one of the customers had medical training … they were then driven to a and e by car 😞 

32 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Stevie, there was a time I'd have said that repeating other people's opinions, isn't a worthwhile contribution to a discussion. If you have nothing to say your lips should stay sealed. 

17 minutes ago, Neil said:

Stevie, there was a time I'd have said that repeating other people's opinions, isn't a worthwhile contribution to a discussion. If you have nothing to say your lips should stay sealed. 

I would argue but the moderation approval delay takes some of the spontaneity out of it (and the rude words).

30 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I would argue but the moderation approval delay takes some of the spontaneity out of it (and the rude words).

The approvals are happening fast too quick for me to act on them most of the time. 

13 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

you need to approve the approvals?

your posts need to be approved, there's a few of us who get notified that there's a post to approve, when i act on that notification  i normally find that your post has already been approved.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Yeah but someone else today got an ambulance within a few mins so your isolated experience has no relevance at all.

Isn't that the tone you took with my in regards to GPs ? 

two hours after a stroke with no treatment would quite possibly mean dead - blood supply would be cut off to a part of the brain. and body organs would start shutting themselves down.

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Yeah I know what a stroke is...

ignorance of stroke is a big issue (i knew nothing myself until it happened to me) the ambulance service do, which is why its a priority, as was said in the post.

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Are you ? 

Might not be life or death but when I have a child in severe discomfort with a raging ear injection and I can't access medical treatment it isn't much fun either.  And then when you complain about it you get a wall of "I'm all right jack" - yeah it can be a bit shit.

wow .. theres a massive difference ... and yeah its also shit you couldn't get a gp appointment . meanwhile i dont know if a colleague is alive so please have a think abut context when replying 

Edited by Crazyfool01

I am happy with the context.  My daughter almost died from an ear infection when she was two years old...  So yeah, a number moment for you to grow and learn...

i will just look up what category they fall in when being responded to by an emergency ambulance 

My mum suffered a stroke...  

i've made a pitch to a charity of a tv programme idea  for following stroke sufferers in recovery. i reckon there would be good tv in watching someone struggling to learn to walk again, or whatever.

there was a 15 year old girl from bristol who had a stroke and was featured a little on the local tv news, there was a clip of film of her very  excited, with her saying "i can do stairs, i can do stairs, i can do stairs" proper joyous tv that was.

Just now, Barry Fish said:

You are missing the point.  maybe you are too emotional.  Always best not to post about emotional stuff on forums to be honest.

9 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Are you ? 

Might not be life or death but when I have a child in severe discomfort with a raging ear injection and I can't access medical treatment it isn't much fun either.  And then when you complain about it you get a wall of "I'm all right jack" - yeah it can be a bit shit.