news & politics:discussion

zahidf

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

and the whole Starmer and Corbyn thing...I mean Labour are polling well, so obviously all this taking on the left isn't hurting them, but it is risky and I think they would be better off trying to heal wounds rather than keep on trying to kill them off completely...but that is obviously the strategy and maybe it will work, maybe it will backfire badly.

They may lose the support of proper lefties, they've lost mine as they transition to Tory-lite.

1 hour ago, Skip997 said:

I've no idea why, she's by far and away the best leader of a political party in the UK.

Caroline Lucas for me best fits my beliefs … sadly greens will only get close / maybe win in Bristol . Presume the resignation of sturgeon will help labour in Scotland ? 

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Caroline Lucas for me best fits my beliefs … sadly greens will only get close / maybe win in Bristol . Presume the resignation of sturgeon will help labour in Scotland ? 

Good point. I was only thinking of major political parties.

As far as I see she's no longer their leader

https://vote.greenparty.org.uk/

5 hours ago, lazyred said:

A reminder why there's no way back for Corbyn. The party acted unlawfully towards Jewish members. He still won't accept this. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/feb/15/labour-out-of-ehrc-special-measures-after-progress-on-tackling-antisemitism

This along with Corbyn’s comments on the Ukraine war are the reasons why Corbyn can’t come back. He doesn’t get it and refuses to apologise/retract the comments he made just after the EHRC report came out. Todays actions shouldn’t really be a surprise in this case and just firms up what most people already knew would happen. I suspect Labour will hold the seat if they pick a somewhat competent candidate.

Corbyn said in his statement that Labour should be focussed on the Tories etc etc. Yet he could step aside or just apologise and Labour wouldn’t have him as a distraction. I supported Corbyn when he was leader but it seems like everything has to be on his terms.  

The Corbyn business is just a convenient soap opera to distract from the fact that the policies of the liberal hegemony have caused steady decline in the west for over a decade and are woefully inadequate to meet the challenges ahead.

Lashing out at Corbyn, sticking the boot into the left for the great crime of trying to change things for the better- the whole circus of it only reveals the insecurity of Starmer and liberalism more broadly.

Edited by mattiloy

5 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

The Corbyn business is just a convenient soap opera to distract from the fact that the policies of the liberal hegemony have caused steady decline in the west for over a decade and are woefully inadequate to meet the challenges ahead.

Lashing out at Corbyn, sticking the boot into the left for the great crime of trying to change things for the better- the whole circus of it only reveals the insecurity of Starmer and liberalism more broadly.

Starmer us sticking the boot in cos those of your mind would rather have a tory Govt than Starmer as pm.

Starmer does want to win.