news & politics:discussion

zahidf

13 minutes ago, Neil said:

READ THE ARTICLE FOR WHERE JONES THINKS STARMER LIED. 

This bit?

"Who exactly is he asking to leave? Is this, for example, addressed to those who believe in nationalisation of utilities, higher taxes for the rich, scrapping tuition fees, supporting trade unions, and who advocate for Labour as a broad church? This was exactly the political platform Starmer offered members when he stood for leader"

10 Pledges | Keir Starmer

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

This bit?

"Who exactly is he asking to leave? Is this, for example, addressed to those who believe in nationalisation of utilities, higher taxes for the rich, scrapping tuition fees, supporting trade unions, and who advocate for Labour as a broad church? This was exactly the political platform Starmer offered members when he stood for leader"

10 Pledges | Keir Starmer

Starmer Hasn't Abandoned Those PLEDGES, but if you only listen to the haters like Jones or mattiloy you'd think he'd taken up the tory manefesto. 

38 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

maybe...but could ignite an internal war in labour that puts voters off. We'll see. You're probably right, but I think it's risky.

There is always some element of internal war, however the Corbyn supporting MPs probably aren’t more than 20 and those willing to give up their seats for him even lower. There may be noise on social media, but I think labour are about as united as they can be.

17 minutes ago, Neil said:

Just Because He's Not Repeating Them Daily Doesn't Mean He's Dropped Them 

don't get me wrong, I quite like some of the stuff they have been saying...national green energy company, massive investment in green tech industries, nationalising railways etc. Not bothered about tuition fees to be honest..and only so much they can do in one term, especially with the economy and how market confidence in UK is...

Edited by steviewevie
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

don't get me wrong, I quite like some of the stuff they have been saying...national green energy company, massive investment in green tech industries, nationalising railways etc. Not bothered about tuition fees to be honest..and only so much they can do in one term, especially with the economy and market confidence in UK is...

A lot of that is stuff that'll only work out badly. Rail nationalisation, will have striking workers rince the Govt with no room for cheaper fares, freen energy company will have people expecting free energy, etc. 

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

A lot of that is stuff that'll only work out badly. Rail nationalisation, will have striking workers rince the Govt with no room for cheaper fares, freen energy company will have people expecting free energy, etc. 

ok, so you don't like the labour policies from labour under starmer or corbyn.

May as well stick with what we have.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

maybe...but could ignite an internal war in labour that puts voters off. We'll see. You're probably right, but I think it's risky.

If that part of the PLP want to leave Labour because of Corbyn then let them, they’d be shooting themselves in the foot at the time when Labour win power finally. 

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

ok, so you don't like the labour policies from labour under starmer or corbyn.

May as well stick with what we have.

Oh, i like them but can see they'll be a failure in the eyes of the public, because the reality is more difficult  than a policy pronouncement. 

3 minutes ago, Neil said:

Oh, i like them but can see they'll be a failure in the eyes of the public, because the reality is more difficult  than a policy pronouncement. 

I think people understand nationalised energy companies doesn't mean free energy, it means profits going to the treasury to spend, not sharedholders.

and yes railworkers might still strike, and govt will have to negotiate with unions, kind of happening now (well, should be).

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think people understand nationalised energy companies doesn't mean free energy, it means profits going to the treasury to spend, not sharedholders.

and yes railworkers might still strike, and govt will have to negotiate with unions, kind of happening now (well, should be).

Expectations were high with Scottish rail mstiomslisation, and the only comments I see are expressing disappointment. 

yeah, well trains weren't great in 70s/80s either. 

So you think passengers will be happy with a service downgrade. 

Main problem with this country is inequality I reckon.

Won't be helped by rail workers reaching for the stars 

Edited by Neil

Rail and water are natural monopolies. Competition isn’t possible. So the choice is a monopoly where profits are the motive or the customer’s benefit is the motive.

Energy companies do nothing but act as package holiday travel agents for energy. The consumer simply sponsors profiteering from energy derivatives. The suppliers add no value.

Nationalise.

Edited by mattiloy

4 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Rail and water are natural monopolies. Competition isn’t possible. So the choice is a monopoly where profits are the motive or the customer’s benefit is the motive.

Energy companies do nothing but act as package holiday travel agents for energy. The consumer simply sponsors profiteering from energy derivatives. The suppliers add no value.

Nationalise.

Yeah, agree. I think any essential service or utility like those should really be owned by the state. The sell off that started in the 80s is not working and is not going to work as we stumble towards a net zero world.

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

Nationalise.

As Blair identified, there's no point enacting policy which doesn't have a political win attached, rail nationalisation doesn't have that win atrached, it has the oooosite.