news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

...and we can't recruit people because they are choosing places with work from home hybrid setups.

That’s a very real risk isn’t it, that workers will move to or join companies that offer more flexibility. It’s given workers a better work/life balance. The better companies will find ways to work round this extra flexibility and will in-turn benefit from increased employee engagement. 

3 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

The trouble is I am findIng my end that   the people who don’t like being in the office are getting what they want, but this is coming at the expense of younger/inexperienced people who need that physical support network. In many cases it’s not as simple as all benefit/loss, we are instead having to choose who the losers are.

The problem is they won't get that support from older workers being forced to come in and being miserable about being their either.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

That’s a very real risk isn’t it, that workers will move to or join companies that offer more flexibility. It’s given workers a better work/life balance. The better companies will find ways to work round this extra flexibility and will in-turn benefit from increased employee engagement. 

Is there also not a risk that jobs where it is impossible to work from home will suffer recruitment issues if too many people are home working? I think it’s a complex discussion and best position is probably somewhere in the middle.

15 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

The problem is they won't get that support from older workers being forced to come in and being miserable about being their either.

I feel the best option is some kind of hybrid where people do a bit of both. I think it’s important we don’t prioritise the mental health over the old over the young, need to find some middle ground.

4 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Is there also not a risk that jobs where it is impossible to work from home will suffer recruitment issues if too many people are home working? I think it’s a complex discussion and best position is probably somewhere in the middle.

yeah, so hybrid seems to be the way. a few days at home a week or something.

Young people don't necessarily benefit from being in office too...oppressive, toxic places full of brents and finchys and cynical old c**ts like me.

38 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Possibly but it would hopefully drive the businesses where can’t be done from home to offer a package that’s better for their employees be it financial or otherwise.

It is complex but giving workers the choice to work remotely if they are in a job that can do it seems like good evolution of working life in the 21st century to me. 

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

my son is in a  big plush corporate office right in the centre of london, where he wanted to be, and doesn't much like it. he doesn't get as many wfh opportunities as he got in the regional offices.

14 hours ago, Kurosagi said:

Seems to be a push in the media for Yousaf as the preferred Sturgeon continuity candidate, but having dipped into Wings Over Scotland recently

Why on earth would you dip into that cesspit?

8 minutes ago, Neil said:

It's a great place to keep abreast of where snippers thinking is. In the shit if wings is a cesspit. 

Wrong again Neil. It's a great place to hang out with transphobic bigots who think Alec Salmond is keeping women safe.