news & politics:discussion

zahidf

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

not stop, but reduce...dampen the wave or whatever it was

Flatten the curve, which is probably what this leak is about Softening any criticism. 

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

to be honest, this is sort of conversation that might happen in a meeting, but instead it is happening over whatsapp and now we all get to see it. I think it's fine to be confused with all this shit and try and work it all out, it's the use of whatsapp that maybe is the issue, and the fact that they just leak these to the press all the time.

I'm willing to cut them some slack for those early days..it was mad panic, no one knew how bad it could get,  and locking down the country is a massive decision. 

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

to be honest, this is sort of conversation that might happen in a meeting, but instead it is happening over whatsapp and now we all get to see it. I think it's fine to be confused with all this shit and try and work it all out, it's the use of whatsapp that maybe is the issue, and the fact that they just leak these to the press all the time.

I'm willing to cut them some slack for those early days..it was mad panic, no one knew how bad it could get,  and locking down the country is a massive decision. 

Johnson is the PM, he should be able to have a better understanding of things than this.

3 hours ago, Ozanne said:

They still do them, it’s not that expensive either. Any constituent can go to PMQs, I think you can ask your MP and if they have spare tickets then it’s free to go. 

Did the tour and PMQs many many (many) years ago as part of a History A Level trip to London. And yes, was all organised through our MP (by the school presumably). 

Also been in the public gallery in the US Senate. Weirdly that was easier for foreigners than Americans. They had to prebook through their senator, tourists could just walk up with your passport and after a check and search you were in. Weirdly lax on security once in too. I ended up wandering down a corridor I absolutely shouldn't have. Post 9/11 too. Suppose they knew I'd been searched/scanned on the way in.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

that's obviously bollocks.

Yeah probably taken an out of context quote referring to historic epidemics where household pets were killed to try and stop the spread of disease. Which still didn’t work. 

22 minutes ago, lost said:

competent people who knew what they were doing;

rumour is that cats won't be permitted outside if bird flu kicks off some more.