news & politics:discussion

zahidf

the BBC have fucked up here. They kept leading with this story themselves, worried about upsetting the Mail I guess, which was just a distraction from the actual main story which was the new refugee bill...and now they have fucked their reputation for all to see and have made Gary Linekar into the next Rashford...when all he did was tweet.

I'm not sure the beeb have changed at all. I think society is getting more divisive with each side less tolerant of a view that seems to cross that perceived impartiality remit.

2 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Labour’s cautiousness is a concern. Sending Thornberry and Cooper out to condemn lineker before this wave of solidarity and then changing tack.

They are misreading the public mood. There is a lot of bottled frustration with the tories’ rigging of the system. The one thing Corbynism succeeded in between 2015 and 2017 was capitalising on that frustration.

These moments are when election momentum is made. Labour have missed the boat, pardon the pun.

Agree with this, particularly them misreading the mood. I'm sure someone posted a tweet here the other day asking why it's Gary Lineker and Carol Vorderman leading the anti-immigration charge and not Labour. 

Their lack of presence in all of this is deafening. I suppose its what we should have come to expect from this Labour though.

7 minutes ago, lost said:

I'm not sure the beeb have changed at all. I think society is getting more divisive with each side less tolerant of a view that seems to cross that perceived impartiality remit

That’s probably a fair point. If a high profile BBC figure was behind the boats policy strongly, there would definitely be those on the left wanting them removed. 

12 minutes ago, cellar said:

Agree with this, particularly them misreading the mood. I'm sure someone posted a tweet here the other day asking why it's Gary Lineker and Carol Vorderman leading the anti-immigration charge and not Labour. 

Their lack of presence in all of this is deafening. I suppose its what we should have come to expect from this Labour though.

ok...and this has been gone over. Labour have criticised the bill and not backed it, in parliament, and on social media, but because they say it won't work and not for humane reasons which is disappointing (McDonnel/Abbott/Lewis have). We do need to stop the boats as people are risking their lives, but it is how it is done that is the big question, and Labour does have a policy which doesn't involve taking people's right to seek asylum away. Immigration is difficult for Labour as a lot of voters they need to win over are social conservatives and are not fans of uncontrolled immigration like with these boats now or with EU membership previously, and Tories know this which is why Sunak kept bringing up Starmer's opposition to flights to Rwanda cause he's a lefty lawyer, and we'll hear a lot more of it in run up to next election because that's all they have.

Starmer actually gave his support to Linekar the other day before all this motd hooha.  I mean, now obviously there is a bandwagon to jump on, and you see those on the left coming out to support Linekar who is unashamedly centrist and wanted a breakaway party in the corbyn years.

Edited by steviewevie

47 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

BBC hasn’t been the impartial broadcaster it claims to be for a long time. 

If I still paid my license fee I’d be cancelling it. Happy I made the decision to stop funding the Tory mouthpiece years ago

I actually think BBC does a pretty good job of being impartial, maybe trying too hard to be impartial these days as it's worried it will lose it's license fee funding.

So on top of Match of the Day being reduced to a hollow shell relying on the Premier League's in-house work, the Football Focus magazine show looks like it's not going to air after both presenter Alex Scott and contributor/stand-in presenter Kelly Somers refused to host with the pundits also saying no, while several members of staff due to have been going to games to do live updates for Final Score and it's main presenter Jason Mohammad are not going, essentially meaning the BBC's football coverage today has been practically wiped out.

I mean, what a fucking mess.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

I actually think BBC does a pretty good job of being impartial, maybe trying too hard to be impartial these days as it's worried it will lose it's license fee funding.

In terms of the news coverage we agree, the left think they are right and the right think they are left, this suggests to me they are generally doing ok.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

ok...and this has been gone over. Labour have criticised the bill and not backed it, in parliament, and on social media, but because they say it won't work and not for humane reasons which is disappointing (McDonnel/Abbott/Lewis have). We do need to stop the boats as people are risking their lives, but it is how it is done that is the big question, and Labour does have a policy which doesn't involve taking people's right to seek asylum away. Immigration is difficult for Labour as a lot of voters they need to win over are social conservatives and are not fans of uncontrolled immigration like with these boats now or with EU membership previously, and Tories know this which is why Sunak kept bringing up Starmer's opposition to flights to Rwanda cause he's a lefty lawyer, and we'll hear a lot more of it in run up to next election because that's all they have.

Starmer actually gave his support to Linekar the other day before all this motd hooha.  I mean, now obviously there is a bandwagon to jump on, and you see those on the left coming out to support Linekar who is unashamedly centrist and wanted a breakaway party in the corbyn years.

Spot on, Labour have been against the Tory policy by not backing it in Parliament and have to tow a very thin line with the voters in public.

57 minutes ago, charlierc said:

So on top of Match of the Day being reduced to a hollow shell relying on the Premier League's in-house work, the Football Focus magazine show looks like it's not going to air after both presenter Alex Scott and contributor/stand-in presenter Kelly Somers refused to host with the pundits also saying no, while several members of staff due to have been going to games to do live updates for Final Score and it's main presenter Jason Mohammad are not going, essentially meaning the BBC's football coverage today has been practically wiped out.

I mean, what a fucking mess.

its a mess but good on those football peeps for their acts of saolidarity. 🙂 

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

OK... Well I was just agreeing with what was said, and expressing my (is-to-be-expected) disappointment with Labour. 

I find the whole BBC/MotD saga quite funny, I hope they feel some financial pain from this.

7 minutes ago, cellar said:

OK... Well I was just agreeing with what was said, and expressing my (is-to-be-expected) disappointment with Labour. 

I find the whole BBC/MotD saga quite funny, I hope they feel some financial pain from this.

I think any pain will be short term. Football fans just won’t be willing to give up football and make a stand.

18 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

laura kuensberg ,  fiona bruce ,  alan sugar . all tory apologists . Think the bbc have made a very big error here .... this is gonna blow up massively in their faces ..... id be surprised if they get anyone remotely big standing in for him on sat 

ive replaced mystic meg who passed away 

4 hours ago, steviewevie said:

the BBC have fucked up here. They kept leading with this story themselves, worried about upsetting the Mail I guess, which was just a distraction from the actual main story which was the new refugee bill...and now they have fucked their reputation for all to see and have made Gary Linekar into the next Rashford...when all he did was tweet.

Great seeing football players (and ex football players) using their platform in such a positive way. It would be great to see more (big) mainstream pop acts do the same... too worried about declining record sales I guess.

34 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think any pain will be short term. Football fans just won’t be willing to give up football and make a stand.

I think you're probably right about it being short term, but more because the people who have pulled out of the shows today will probably be back next week.

I wonder how much revenue they're losing right now because Football Focus isn't showing... I doubt Bargain Hunt is capturing the same demographic 😂

Edit: I actually have no idea if they lose money from this... So maybe they don't, and they don't even care. 

Edited by cellar

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

True and I understand Labour’s tentativeness to be perceived as being pro immigration, but I don’t believe this is about that. This moment is about the unfairness of Lineker being booted off MoTD when the Beeb has been littered with right wing talking heads for years, particularly those associated with actual political programs, who have never been reprimanded for stepping well over this imaginary line in the sand.

If Labour were strategicallysmarter earlydoors they could have come out and made political capital on that rather than condemn Lineker and then jump on the bandwagon too late and appear disingenuous in doing so imo