news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

True and I understand Labour’s tentativeness to be perceived as being pro immigration, but I don’t believe this is about that. This moment is about the unfairness of Lineker being booted off MoTD when the Beeb has been littered with right wing talking heads for years, particularly those associated with actual political programs, who have never been reprimanded for stepping well over this imaginary line in the sand.

If Labour were strategicallysmarter earlydoors they could have come out and made political capital on that rather than condemn Lineker and then jump on the bandwagon too late and appear disingenuous in doing so imo

They could send out Rayner to tackle it - she’d do a good job. Starmer can take a step back and delegate the support team to cover divisive issues.

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

True and I understand Labour’s tentativeness to be perceived as being pro immigration, but I don’t believe this is about that. This moment is about the unfairness of Lineker being booted off MoTD when the Beeb has been littered with right wing talking heads for years, particularly those associated with actual political programs, who have never been reprimanded for stepping well over this imaginary line in the sand.

If Labour were strategicallysmarter earlydoors they could have come out and made political capital on that rather than condemn Lineker and then jump on the bandwagon too late and appear disingenuous in doing so imo

They didn't condemn him, but they didn't agree with him comparing govt policy to that of the Nazis. Starmer actually showed his support before the MOTD thing. Just seems you want to find anything to have a pop at labour.

I am actually disappointed that labour didn't come out more against the bill on human rights reasons and also about the language being used..like Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott have,but being nice to migrants is not popular it seems.

Edited by steviewevie

49 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

They didn't condemn him, but they didn't agree with him comparing govt policy to that of the Nazis. Starmer actually showed his support before the MOTD thing. Just seems you want to find anything to have a pop at labour.

I am actually disappointed that labour didn't come out more against the bill on human rights reasons and also about the language being used..like Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott have,but being nice to migrants is not popular it seems.

I think the biggest problem for me is that Labour are scared to support the core of what Lineker was saying (that the language being used is reminiscent of language used by Nazi Germany). Starmers comments since the BBC asked him to stand down have been supportive, and the words carefully chosen to criticise the "broken asylum system" - and I do understand the logic behind it. But I would want a party that does take a stand against using that sort of language and calling people out on doing so.

You can have a robust asylum system without dehumanising people with your language. 

Presumably yourself and Ozanne agree that the language and comments that have been used and made are disgusting, even if you don't agree that it should be called out by Labour. 

2 minutes ago, cellar said:

I think the biggest problem for me is that Labour are scared to support the core of what Lineker was saying (that the language being used is reminiscent of language used by Nazi Germany). Starmers comments since the BBC asked him to stand down have been supportive, and the words carefully chosen to criticise the "broken asylum system" - and I do understand the logic behind it. But I would want a party that does take a stand against using that sort of language and calling people out on doing so.

You can have a robust asylum system without dehumanising people with your language. 

Presumably yourself and Ozanne agree that the language and comments that have been used and made are disgusting, even if you don't agree that it should be called out by Labour. 

yeah, but they need to win an election...and just saying you're a fascist or a nazi often doesn't help with your argument.

I'm not saying I don't think it should be called out by labour, I am disappointed that they didn't focus more on the language and the human rights aspects...but I understand why they didn't...the votes they need to win..red wall, social conservatives etc...people who voted brexit...not people like me, they already have my vote. It is a shit state of affairs, but with the electoral system we have a lot of focus is on winning just in a few areas of the country and certain demographics within those areas...and I hate to say it but the whole stop the boats send them back thing is quite popular.

and this is what Starmer said (or his spokesperson said) on wednesday:

A spokesman for Starmer said: “I think there is a general observation that I’d make, which is I think comparisons with Germany in the 1930s aren’t always the best way to make one’s argument.

“On the specifics of Gary Lineker speaking out, everybody will know that he has been a passionate advocate on behalf of refugees and refugee rights, including taking refugees into his own home.

“So, I don’t think it will come as a surprise that he has strong views on this subject.”

28 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

So it’s not gonna happen then 😞 . Issue is with the tories not the bbc …

Yeah it is an issue with the Tories, most people can see what the real issue at play is here. 

22 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Ive got Gary Linekers autograph from when he once guest appeared as a batsman for somerset when I was a youngster ... hes always been a hero of mine . Now just proves my judge of character to be correct 

Whilst I completely stand with Lineker in the wake of the BBCs farcical decision, he’s actually not a very nice man. He came to my school to watch his son play football and when we went up to ask him for his autograph at the end he told us to fuck off. I was 11 years old 

2 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

Whilst I completely stand with Lineker in the wake of the BBCs farcical decision, he’s actually not a very nice man. He came to my school to watch his son play football and when we went up to ask him for his autograph at the end he told us to fuck off. I was 11 years old 

i got it when i was about the same age i think ... maybe having a bad day  ?  edit actually I must have been older   

Edited by Crazyfool01

3 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

😄

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

i got it when i was about the same age i think ... maybe having a bad day  ?  edit actually I must have been older   

Maybe, but if I was having a bad day I’m not sure I’d tell a load of young kids to fuck off within the grounds of their school (for context his sons school had won the match!)

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah, but they need to win an election...and just saying you're a fascist or a nazi often doesn't help with your argument.

I'm not saying I don't think it should be called out by labour, I am disappointed that they didn't focus more on the language and the human rights aspects...but I understand why they didn't...the votes they need to win..red wall, social conservatives etc...people who voted brexit...not people like me, they already have my vote. It is a shit state of affairs, but with the electoral system we have a lot of focus is on winning just in a few areas of the country and certain demographics within those areas...and I hate to say it but the whole stop the boats send them back thing is quite popular.

I do get all of that, but I feel like it keeps happening where I wish they would draw a line in the sand. I've definitely been turned away from voting Labour as it stands... Although we'll see if I stick to that come election time.

14 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

he’s actually not a very nice man. He came to my school to watch his son play football and when we went up to ask him for his autograph at the end he told us to fuck off. I was 11 years old 

😆

It wouldn't surprise me if it came out this is all about his IR35 defence. He can't be an employee of the beeb who has to pay income tax and national insurance because employees can't make political tweets and he can.

6 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

There's plenty of people on here who I'd probably tell to fuck off if they tried talking to me.

Also plenty of people who post here who I wouldn't be surprised if they're 11 years old.

This is a weird, unnecessary comment.