news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Govt to reverse their migration bill and open up a safe route for 10 billion asylum seekers? 

I think we're more likely to have people leaving this country to seek asylum than this government showing compassion.

1 minute ago, kaosmark2 said:

I think we're more likely to have people leaving this country to seek asylum than this government showing compassion.

fancy, the UK being bettered by Germany for compassion.

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Govt to reverse their migration bill and open up a safe route for 10 billion asylum seekers? 

That’s a good one, I like jokes 😉

15 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Sunak is a real man of the people. 

Just as the latest story about him says that he needs his electricity service uprated so that he can heat his swimming pool. 

4 hours ago, steviewevie said:

I watched it  and thought it was weird, but I guess just not used to it. I actually am interested in what the pundits say, they know far more than me and have watched the whole match.

They should have kept the theme tune though.

1 hour ago, Neil said:

its critical that lineker isn't critical of the tories - cos it cuts thru in a way most political comment doesn't.

lineker's authenticity  makes it a deep wound.

He’s also taken in refugees so they can’t use their usual “virtue signaller” claim.

And yes, all these outraged Tories (Sunak and Hunt trying to soften things and claim now it’s an internal BBC matter after their snowflake buddies threw their toys out the pram) are conveniently leaving out the fact Lineker focused on the language they’ve used to stoke everything up - not the actual policy, which he described as cruel.

I’ve asked some Tories where this leaves actors and comedians especially when they appear on the BBC.

The spiciest thing about this whole episode, is that the beeb are (probably) going to have to make their stance on impartiality much clearer... which means either tightening the reigns on some commentators (mostly on the right) or opening up the possibility of more comments like Lineker's (on both sides) without fear of reprisal.

19 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Not sure who this is or how inside she is ? 1 of 4 that really needs to go … and then how do they insure impartially of replacements 

Gina Miller is the person that took the government to court over whether Parliament had a say in invoking Article 50 to leave the EU. 

26 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

how do they insure impartially of replacements 

They don't. Greg Dyke was labour through and through. Its one of the advantages of being in government that you get to chose your own guy.

I think he actually left the labour party on the day he was appointed. He also bunged Blair £50k.

Edited by lost

1 minute ago, lost said:

They don't. Greg Dyke was labour through and through. Its one of the advantages of being in government that you get to chose your own guy.

I mean clearly its impossible as people clearly will have political leanings  ... but like posted by @Justiceforcedave its going to be reasonably under more scruitny to get some balance now 

2 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I pretty much do that already, 6 months there in summer to earn money and then 6 months away to spend it.. works well 😜

Large swathes of the right have had it in for the BBC for years.

The danger is that this may turn many on the centre/left against them too.

Edited by LJS

Not sure how BBC can survive in the world of streaming, but I hope it does. It could be funded directly by tax to take away the whole license fee thing that upsets some people, but then there will probably be even bigger problems of impartiality as it really will be a state broadcaster, or it could be a subscription service and it may do very well as it is already so well set up but it may cut some of it's more unprofitable stuff..bye bye bbc4 and radio3 etc. Personally I think it's great, is respected globally, and would be a real shame to see it diminished, but I think it will end up paid for by subscription and/or ads, and will likely become smaller.