news & politics:discussion

zahidf

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I don't know...maybe admitting that the opposition were right on something is kind of grown up...even if she is a total bastard muthafucka incase you thought I was agreeing to anything.,,

http://jimcofer.com/personal/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/mayall.jpg

Can’t read that but I think he needs to be carefull about switching off a part of the electorate whilst trying to appeal to another …. I don’t have that love for starmer but do understand he needs to appeal to others but it’s how far he pushes that boundary and think that overstepped things 

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

You’ve no interest in policy? What a strange thing to say for someone that claims to be interested in politics. He can’t win. 

I’ve no interest in a love in for starmer by watching the entire speech . Don’t twist things … by posting on here it shows I’m interested doesn’t it ? 

8 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Can’t read that but I think he needs to be carefull about switching off a part of the electorate whilst trying to appeal to another …. I don’t have that love for starmer but do understand he needs to appeal to others but it’s how far he pushes that boundary and think that overstepped things 

I tried to post a pic but failed.

Yes, that is a risk... a big risk. They have to appeal to a  broad range of the electorate...and with brexit Johnson totally changed the coalition of tory voters...normal tories + older, working class, ex labour voting tories..red wall...and with scotland gone all snp it led to a massive win for them in 2019. So, labour need to get some of that back. They have metropolitan areas, hopefully with sturgeon gone they can win back some scotland seats, with cost of living and general tory fuckups they can also hopefully win back some red wall seats...but even with that they need to win traditional tory voting areas in the south. So, you have to calculate who to appeal to. We need PR, we are too fractured for our electoral system to work..but that's what we have.

Edited by steviewevie

4 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I’ve no interest in a love in for starmer by watching the entire speech . Don’t twist things … by posting on here it shows I’m interested doesn’t it ? 

You said you ‘have no interest in the rest’, I haven’t needed to twist anything. You used those words.

I’d have thought if you as interested to get annoyed about a quote you’d watch the speech to see the policy.

it's like the stop the boats things for the tories...I don't think (although I don't know for sure) that Sunak is comfortable with that...but he is going along with Braverman's thing because they see it as a vote winner...even if they don't stop the boats they can say they tried but labour/lawyers/france/eu stopped them...infact I would love to know if braverman actually agrees with this or has she sold her soul because she thinks it will further her career..

We see it everywhere...populist policies..usually anti immigrant or some minority...easy for people to understand...my life is shit because we are making lives for others better...etc forever.

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

it's like the stop the boats things for the tories...I don't think (although I don't know for sure) that Sunak is comfortable with that...but he is going along with Braverman's thing because they see it as a vote winner...even if they don't stop the boats they can say they tried but labour/lawyers/france/eu stopped them...infact I would love to know if braverman actually agrees with this or has she sold her soul because she thinks it will further her career..

We see it everywhere...populist policies..usually anti immigrant or some minority...easy for people to understand...my life is shit because we are making lives for others better...etc forever.

They’ve been in power for 13 years, have a 70 odd seat majority and took us out of the EU. It’s all on the Tories. Someone would have to be incredibly dense or obtuse to believe that it’s anyone else’s fault. 

7 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

They’ve been in power for 13 years, have a 70 odd seat majority and took us out of the EU. It’s all on the Tories. Someone would have to be incredibly dense or obtuse to believe that it’s anyone else’s fault. 

Well leaving the EU was kind of popular..will of the people or some bullshit.

I’m not a fan of these Starmer sound bites clearly designed to appeal to traditional Tory voters, but if you want to win, you have to to play the game. Boris played the game, Sunak is playing the game. It’s dirty, but that’s our political system.

A big pile of stinky shite where words are more important than actions and there’s very little accountability.

I worry they stick with this shit when they get elected ..... then we get Tory lite followed by hardcore right and repeat . and to be able to question stuff is exactly what we should be doing ..... thats the only way things change rather than acceptance of everything that Starmer does and says as right because he wants to get elected . it is still possible to support someone and accept they made big errors .... see Lib dems tuition fees or Blair Iraq war .... and that applies to partys whilst in opposition too . 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I worry they stick with this shit when they get elected ..... then we get Tory lite followed by hardcore right and repeat . and to be able to question stuff is exactly what we should be doing ..... thats the only way things change rather than acceptance of everything that Starmer does and says as right because he wants to get elected . it is still possible to support someone and accept they made big errors .... see Lib dems tuition fees or Blair Iraq war .... and that applies to partys whilst in opposition too . 

Yep, very true. 

At same time I just want Tories out and I'm not at all convinced labour are dead cert to win. 

If they turn out to be shit they won't win a 2nd term, simple as.

52 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

…a cursory google suggests Sir Kier isn’t up for PR, so you can bin that idea.

Starmer has been in favour of electoral reform before. So I would imagine if it did happen it would be in the 2029 manifesto.

If Labour suddenly came out for PR now then the Tories would claim Labour are trying to rig politics or some rubbish.

1 hour ago, Crazyfool01 said:

No one could right the damage the Tories gave done, and it can only be tried within the reality of the country, no big housebuilding,cos nimbies.