news & politics:discussion

zahidf

24 minutes ago, Neil said:

they are often bigots, cos there's oodles of research showing better options than imprisonment. - the big problem with prison is all of the other lives it damages - family, etc.

While I don’t disagree with your point. I think it’s a different perspective an academic researcher compared to someone who lives in the most deprived areas in the UK. I can perfectly understand why someone in the latter group may look beyond the research and want a tougher response to crime, that doesn’t necessarily make them a bad person.

As part of my job I have to visit some really deprived areas with high incidence of crime, the relatively short period of time I spend I often feel on guard. I am thankful I have been fortunate not to live in such areas, not everyone is that fortunate.

To me the big thing in the 4500 is there is no context. I don’t know who these people are and why they didn’t go to jail. It’s difficult to make sound judgement without knowing that information.

27 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah...so there's plenty to go on...not enough police...not enough youth clubs for bored teenagers...too much poverty driving people into crime...drugs policies that don't work...they don't have to say Sunak is a friend to paedos.

They haven’t said that.

50 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

While I don’t disagree with your point. I think it’s a different perspective an academic researcher compared to someone who lives in the most deprived areas in the UK. I can perfectly understand why someone in the latter group may look beyond the research and want a tougher response to crime, that doesn’t necessarily make them a bad person.

As part of my job I have to visit some really deprived areas with high incidence of crime, the relatively short period of time I spend I often feel on guard. I am thankful I have been fortunate not to live in such areas, not everyone is that fortunate.

To me the big thing in the 4500 is there is no context. I don’t know who these people are and why they didn’t go to jail. It’s difficult to make sound judgement without knowing that information.

i live in a notorious area of Bristol which once had its major road labelled as 'the most dangerous in the uk'.always a few stabbings and shootings going on, but not somewhere to feel unsafe.

Just now, Neil said:

i live in a notorious area of Bristol which once had its major road labelled as 'the most dangerous in the uk'.always a few stabbings and shootings going on, but not somewhere to feel unsafe.

i'm just round the corner from where savid javid lived when a kid, same distance the other direction is the bus garage where his dad worked, his dad drove busses don't cha know?

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

They don't give a shit..

I don’t like this and hoped they’d take the moral high ground/not resort to the Tory-style mud slinging but the Brexit lot - who they need the votes from - lap this kind of thing up.

20 minutes ago, LJS said:

Good to know there’s confirmation of the double standards for the Parties. As I’ve said before the Tories play politics on easy mode.

I look forward to the uproar the next time the Tories put out a questionable attack ad (there won’t be any).

26 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Where was the uproar?

You're kind of missing the point.. people do complain when Tories do this, but at same time it is expected, they are the nasty party after all. Labour are supposed to be better, and starmer has been pushing this..integrity etc 

But I guess on other hand tories do always win, so maybe labour feel they need to fight dirty too.

Just doesn't sit right with me, especially this sunak signing that he doesn't think child abusers should be imprisoned thing, that is just bullshit.

17 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

You're kind of missing the point.. people do complain when Tories do this, but at same time it is expected, they are the nasty party after all. Labour are supposed to be better, and starmer has been pushing this..integrity etc 

But I guess on other hand tories do always win, so maybe labour feel they need to fight dirty too.

Just doesn't sit right with me, especially this sunak signing that he doesn't think child abusers should be imprisoned thing, that is just bullshit.

Again let’s get the context on who these 4500 people are and have a proper debate. Without any context I don’t know if labour has a point or not. 

I do however feel we need to be careful not to dismiss the views of people who have concerns about crime. It can at times look like people living in nice homes in leafy suburbs are talking down to those who have the problems on their doorstep. Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime sounds good, but implementing the policy is more challenging.

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Good to know there’s confirmation of the double standards for the Parties. As I’ve said before the Tories play politics on easy mode.

I look forward to the uproar the next time the Tories put out a questionable attack ad (there won’t be any).

If I lived in England, I would probably vote Labour, partly BECAUSE they are not like the tories.

The more they become like the Tories, the less likely I would be to vote for them.

4 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Again let’s get the context on who these 4500 people are and have a proper debate. Without any context I don’t know if labour has a point or not. 

I do however feel we need to be careful not to dismiss the views of people who have concerns about crime. It can at times look like people living in nice homes in leafy suburbs are talking down to those who have the problems on their doorstep. Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime sounds good, but implementing the policy is more challenging.

Ok.. that's all well and good...context etc...but most people don't even get as far as the number 4500 let alone something called context, they just see Rishi Sunak and apparently him signing that he doesn't think child abusers should be locked up. That is it, none of this context bullshit you keep going on about.

11 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

and honestly this isn't even about crime policy..it is just doing the NONCE ASIAN TORY thing.

If what I have read is correct (I have no idea if it is or not) the 4500 date from 2010-2015 when Sunak was a hedge fund manager.

45 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I don’t mean to be a twat but where was your anger when Sunak said Starmer was on the side of people traffickers?

There are no complaints here when the Tories do those things. The other week he was criticised because he quoted Thatcher by someone who didn’t even care about the policy. The Tories play everything on easy mode because people allow them too. 

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

and honestly this isn't even about crime policy..it is just doing the NONCE ASIAN TORY thing.

Mate come on, don’t be that person. There’s nothing racist about it, he’s the Tory PM that’s all.

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I don’t mean to be a twat but where was your anger when Sunak said Starmer was on the side of people traffickers?

There are no complaints here when the Tories do those things. The other week he was criticised because he quoted Thatcher by someone who didn’t even care about the policy. The Tories play everything on easy mode because people allow them too. 

I don't know, maybe I didn't complain, I certainly did about the policy though. But, the point is I expect this shit from the Tories..makes it easier to say theyta bunch of rotters, but when it's your own side doing it then what? Can't complain when they come back with something equally shit? It's race to the bottom gutter politics and if that's how it's going to be I'd rather nothing to do with it.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I don't know, maybe I didn't complain, I certainly did about the policy though. But, the point is I expect this shit from the Tories..makes it easier to say theyta bunch of rotters, but when it's your own side doing it then what? Can't complain when they come back with something equally shit? It's race to the bottom gutter politics and if that's how it's going to be I'd rather nothing to do with it.

the error is yours ... in thinking they weren't as bad as each other.

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Mate come on, don’t be that person. There’s nothing racist about it, he’s the Tory PM that’s all.

Maybe not..or maybe it was after all the Braverman -

Tommy Robinson stuff that's come before. I just think they need to be careful to not stir this shit up even more, unless they actually want to and they can benefit from it.