news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

No wonder Labour never win elections, you have people holding them up an extremely high level and as soon as they do anything even slightly against that they criticise the Party for days on end. Yet the Tories who will be doing much worse than Labour whilst actually ruining the country get off scot free.

If Labour have supporters like this they don't need enemies.

Most of those who suggest the no compromise left wing rhetoric and no playing politics, are the ones who will be ok if the tories win. Starmer is trying to win an election not the title of most pure politician in the county. I hope he succeeds as the ones who really need help need a labour government, not people patting themselves on the back saying they fought a fair fight.

27 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Most of those who suggest the no compromise left wing rhetoric and no playing politics, are the ones who will be ok if the tories win. Starmer is trying to win an election not the title of most pure politician in the county. I hope he succeeds as the ones who really need help need a labour government, not people patting themselves on the back saying they fought a fair fight.

Hope he succeeds too.

But I'm still going to criticise if I don't agree with something..because you know...free speech etc...

37 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I agree. It's no good playing fair and taking the high road when negative tactics are proven to work. The stakes here are so important that it's better to get a bit dirty and maximise your chances of wining in my view.

The people that seemingly criticise most things that Labour do these days will never really say what they want Starmer to be doing because if they do they'll be presented with evidence that he has done all those things and it'll show they just keep moving the goalposts. 

35 minutes ago, Neil said:

shouldn't surprise anyone those massive labour leads were never going to hold.

Indeed, the super large leads were due to Truss and the current Labour leads are enough for a majority anyway.

7 hours ago, Ozanne said:

The Tories going to show that they really don't care to even try to improve the country.

They care about giving public money to their mates.

Same thing happened with Europe's biggest chemical producer. It shut up shop in Germany and moved to Texas. The places that will have all the jobs in the future are those with the cheapest energy costs.

50 minutes ago, lost said:

Same thing happened with Europe's biggest chemical producer. It shut up shop in Germany and moved to Texas. The places that will have all the jobs in the future are those with the cheapest energy costs.

the UK battery firm is because of IRA subsidies, not energy costs.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

the UK battery firm is because of IRA subsidies, not energy costs.

Thats what IRA is. The state subsidising energy costs.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

it is subsidies to encourage low carbon technologies as well as other stuff like healthcare, it isn't about making fossil fuels cheaper.

It all the same energy market. If clean energy is cheaper then fossil fuels will also find that new price because some industries stop using it (supply and demand) 

There are a few articles kicking about saying the EU is pissed and some as are seeing it as a protectionist grab off the back of claiming its about clean energy. Its probably something Biden isn't too worried about though as the rust belt voted for Trump off the back of promised protectionist policies against China and so he needs those votes.

5 minutes ago, lost said:

It all the same energy market. If clean energy is cheaper then fossil fuels will also find that new price because some industries stop using it (supply and demand) 

There are a few articles kicking about saying the EU is pissed and some as are seeing it as a protectionist grab off the back of claiming its about clean energy. Its probably something Biden isn't too worried about though as the rust belt voted for Trump off the back of promised protectionist policies against China and so he needs those votes.

the way things are going...I'm sure EU will do similar...end of globalisation (in it's current form).

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

the way things are going...I'm sure EU will do similar...end of globalisation (in it's current form).

Agreed. There will probably be a cluster countries around the US and a cluster of countries around China and eventually you'll have to pick a side to get access to certain supply chains/technology/ resources. It'll be interesting to see if the EU tries to go it alone or sides with one of the two. I guess the issue will be is if you side with the US they will want to call the shots 100%.

Edited by lost

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Rishi's maths to 18 is back on the agenda. Bless.

its the new tory way of blaming the public for the country's failure.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Rishi's maths to 18 is back on the agenda. Bless.

gonna need to up the teachers  wages to get decent math graduates into teaching, my kid with a first in maths had a plum pick of jobs.