news & politics:discussion

zahidf

3 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Nick Clegg went back on a manifesto promise, Starmer has gone back on it before the manifesto. They aren’t alike. 

yes, exactly.

3 minutes ago, lost said:

Ok you've changed your argument now. You were saying it was all about cuts. I was saying a certain section of labour supporters were kicking off about not enough money being spent in certain areas, even calling years when I said cuts were not happening " austerity years" and arguing economic conditions didn't matter it was purely ideological and the Tories could of gone and got the money from the rich. I think they will apply the same reasoning to this.

Eh? I don't know what you're flapping on about. Cameron and Osborne called it austerity,and it was a massive reduction in public spending that fucked us and here we are, fucked. 

Starmer is saying due to economic conditions he cannot do all things he wanted to a few years ago.

You can argue they're the same, but the conditions are totally different, inflation and interest rates for a start.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

the conditions are totally different, inflation and interest rates for a start.

Yes economic conditions matter. This is the bit I mentioned most of the left disagree with. I'm not saying you don't think that I'm saying the twitterers/Corbyinista's don't think that. They think you can ignore economic conditions and go get the money from the rich. Inflation, interest rates, deficit don't matter.

Edited by lost

1 minute ago, lost said:

Yes economic conditions matter. This is the bit I mentioned most of the left disagree with. I'm not saying you don't think that I'm saying the twitterers/Corbyinista's don't think that. They think you can ignore economic conditions and go get the money from the rich. Inflation, interest rates, deficit don't matter.

yeah, well...in 2019 we were in a different world...but maybe the left just feel Starmer has gone too far with reversing all the corbyn stuff and all the pledges and promises he made to them to get elected...but that's politics I guess...but there has to be some trust and labour opposition will bring up those lies a lot...can we trust what Starmer says now etc etc.

13 hours ago, steviewevie said:

he works for a bank, he doesn't own it.

(well, I don't think he does).

Correct. I own 0% of the bank I work for. I make 0% of my income from capital. Unlike Neil, who is a business owner.

12 hours ago, lost said:

Sweden?

Yes, I havent lived in the UK for 5 years but still my red wall vote carries perhaps more weight than more than half of the rest of the uk. Thats what your shitty electoral system does.

9 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Correct. I own 0% of the bank I work for. I make 0% of my income from capital. Unlike Neil, who is a business owner.

All of my income for the last twenty five years has been self generated.

with no exploitation of capital.

9 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Yes, I havent lived in the UK for 5 years but still my red wall vote carries perhaps more weight than more than half of the rest of the uk. Thats what your shitty electoral system does.

Not my system your advanced system privileges the far right.

25 minutes ago, Neil said:

All of my income for the last twenty five years has been self generated.

with no exploitation of capital.

Not my system your advanced system privileges the far right.

You’re a business owner, you’re a capitalist. I’m a worker. End of.

Okay guy who lives in a country that brexited, has some of the worst anti union laws in any rich economy, the most cctv cameras per capita in Europe, just implemented some of the most restrictive anti protest laws in europe, is trying desperately to give refugees a one way ticket to rwanda.

Please tell me more about how Sweden privileges the far right.

Edited by mattiloy

38 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

take that

almost no scottish seats for labour, and still an easy win, tories winning seats again in scotland is a big thing

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

Labour won by 12 percent in 1997, what are people expecting?

This is the Political Research Director at Savanta:

Looks like it’ll swing back so we can pay little attention to that one.

What a shame young people have no mainstream party that represents their views. (Guessing a lot of them wouldn't be big fans of tuition fees either)

Shame most of them don't live in Scotland. Eh?

And we complain when they don't vote.

5 hours ago, LJS said:

What a shame young people have no mainstream party that represents their views. (Guessing a lot of them wouldn't be big fans of tuition fees either)

They will be reactionary right wing zenophobes by the time they get to 40.

6 hours ago, LJS said:

Young people should turn out to vote more, when that happens parties will start to tailor policies more to them.