news & politics:discussion

zahidf

The Tories are down 707 at the moment, it’s a disaster for them.

Lab/LD/Green doing really well, the progressive vote is very strong!

2 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

745 now. Place your bets now! How close will they get to losing 1000?

I think they’ll hit the 1000!

Labour have also hit their ‘target’ of 400 seats. 

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Labour largest party in local government. That is definitely something.

On the road to government. 

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

isnt it ever ... at work I walk past a food bank collection point followed by a jubilee celebration table in our staff area several times per day .... was very tempted to ask for an anti monarchy table but managed to bite my tongue . All colleagues on minimum wage but most seem to be pro royal which i struggle to comprehend based on the huge difference 

Just now, Crazyfool01 said:

issues with bin collections i believe .....

mind you lots of rubbish thrown out today so things are decent 

that's the thing with these elections...local issues are part of the equation too...my Mum was saying greens have done well where she is because they made a big thing that they were against all the unpopular development going on in the town...sort of local shit that lib dems always do so well with too..

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

that's the thing with these elections...local issues are part of the equation too...my Mum was saying greens have done well where she is because they made a big thing that they were against all the unpopular development going on in the town...sort of local shit that lib dems always do so well with too..

its weird .... Labour seem to have done well but not as well as I personally thought they might given the current polling .... these fringe parties I guess wont be in play in a general election .... greens have only 1 mp i think .... so will they gain any extra ones in a general election ? doubtful as many switch back to the main parties .... it just depends who capitalises on those switching ? 

Labour traditionally underperform polling in local elections whereas Tories traditionally over perform polling. It’s one of the quirk of local elections.

You can’t really tell how a party will do in a general election from locals due to various different reasons. But it does show the general trajectory of parties aka if Labour were heading for government then they would have to show they are picking up votes in previously held Tory areas. 

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

its weird .... Labour seem to have done well but not as well as I personally thought they might given the current polling .... these fringe parties I guess wont be in play in a general election .... greens have only 1 mp i think .... so will they gain any extra ones in a general election ? doubtful as many switch back to the main parties .... it just depends who capitalises on those switching ? 

from what I can gather labour have done a pretty good job on winning back red wall votes...all those salt of the earth working class racists that loved boris and his brexit...but not so well with all the middle class remainy nimby w*nkstains who seem to prefer lib dem (or green). That is the problem with any party to win an overall majority, you need to attract both these.  And that's why we really really need PR so we don't have to  be governed by whoever is more appealing to these fuckers.

I think the tories are fucked, because the country is fucked and everyone is fed up, but what could let them back in is if this anti-tory vote splits and fucks up...which is why there really needs to be more focus on an anti tory coalition (and why that is probably going to happen but it will all be unofficial).

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Is it wrong for me to be happy that it is supposed to rain for the coronation?

Not at all, rain is better than sun anyway 😉