news & politics:discussion

zahidf

asked my brother in Germany if Germany was excited about the crowning of a new German king, he said no but showed me the VW  t-shirt on sale in sainsburys.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah so labour are doing well in red wall, they seem to be winning a lot of those back, or at least the key ones...but they need to win those blue wall seats that lib Dems have done so well in too..unless they win loads of seats in Scotland because of snp implosion.

If the Lib Dem’s win more Tory seats in the South that only helps Labour. Labour has also been very strong in the South too. 

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

This is tough going for Starmer. 

What a day!!! My previously very conservative rural ward in Amber Valley just elected 2 Green Party councillors to their 2 seats, and by a landslide too!!! 

And the council has gone red, very red 

Labour 26 (+17)
Conservative 8 (-16)
Greens 5 (+2)
Independent 2 (-1)
Lib Dems 1 (+1)
Reform 0 (-6)

🎉🎉🎉 Absolutely buzzing

Can't wait to be told by a tory that I wasted my vote again!!! They won only 3 more seats... 🙈😂

7 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

What a day!!! My previously very conservative rural ward in Amber Valley just elected 2 Green Party councillors to their 2 seats, and by a landslide too!!! 

And the council has gone red, very red 

Labour 26 (+17)
Conservative 8 (-16)
Greens 5 (+2)
Independent 2 (-1)
Lib Dems 1 (+1)
Reform 0 (-6)

🎉🎉🎉 Absolutely buzzing

Can't wait to be told by a tory that I wasted my vote again!!! They won only 3 more seats... 🙈😂

Awesome stuff, that’s an incredible result! Just think of that trend carries on then the Greens will be the official opposition!

GOVES CONSTITUENCY OF SURREY HEATH HAS DUMPED THE TORY COUNCIL. on general election night we'll all stay up to watch gove lose.

so...now I'm not awash with alcohol...on reflection...a terrible night for tories, not sure where they go from here, stick with Sunak and hope it was a protest vote I guess, and hope things start improving. A good night for Labour, but if they want that majority they need to do more, and I'm sure they know that, Starmer was always saying don't get complacent with the poll leads. A great night for Lib Dems who always do well at locals, but could do very well at next gen election, and also Greens who also are becoming a big player at local level, have to see how they do at national level.

Edited by steviewevie

I looked at the last comparable elections and both greens and Lib Dem’s polled higher in the local elections than the general elections. I think people will make different decisions next year knowing only 2 people can be PM.

I also think (I wouldn’t be surprised) if it’s a hung parliament labour are in a good position. The SNP, Lib Dem’s and Plaid aren’t in a great negotiating position as I don’t think any could go with the Tory’s.

10 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I looked at the last comparable elections and both greens and Lib Dem’s polled higher in the local elections than the general elections. I think people will make different decisions next year knowing only 2 people can be PM.

I also think (I wouldn’t be surprised) if it’s a hung parliament labour are in a good position. The SNP, Lib Dem’s and Plaid aren’t in a great negotiating position as I don’t think any could go with the Tory’s.

As I’ve said numerous times it would require the biggest swing ever for Labour to win a majority and it’s a testament to how well they have recovered since 2019 that it’s a possibility. But for some reason people are using 1997 as a baseline for their performance when that’s just not realistic.

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

If Labour want to do everything they want they will need a majority....otherwise it will be negotiations etc...and things like housebuilding plans will get binned...

Labour need a majority otherwise the SNP Will be used against them.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

As I’ve said numerous times it would require the biggest swing ever for Labour to win a majority and it’s a testament to how well they have recovered since 2019 that it’s a possibility. But for some reason people are using 1997 as a baseline for their performance when that’s just not realistic.

as long as it's not like 1992. Or 2015. It may well be like 2010. Or 1964. Or even 1906. 🙂

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

as long as it's not like 1992. Or 2015. It may well be like 2010. Or 1964. Or even 1906. 🙂

It probably won’t be like any election and will create a new scenario 😂