news & politics:discussion

zahidf

22 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

I'm 99% sure Caroline Lucas will get in again in Brighton. Whilst there isn't a lot of love for the Green Council, Caroline is super popular as an MP.

i meant the most likely extra green seat which is Bristol north.

29 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Do red wall people hate protest more than anyone else? Disappointing for me, but I guess labour feels it’s not a fight worth fighting.

Labour have only said they won’t be able to repeal every bit of Tory legislation. They are committed to a right to protest and will be looking at ways to ensure that is protected. There are some decent parts of that legislation so instead of repealing it they could amend it.

This explains things pretty well. 

13 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Labour have only said they won’t be able to repeal every bit of Tory legislation. They are committed to a right to protest and will be looking at ways to ensure that is protected. There are some decent parts of that legislation so instead of repealing it they could amend it.

This explains things pretty well. 

if they opposed it why don't they repeal it?

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

if they opposed it why don't they repeal it?

I’ve said why in my post. To clarify, Labour haven’t actually said they won’t repeal it just that they can’t repeal repeal all the terrible Tory bills which is correct as that would take too long and they wouldn’t be able to get anything else done that people care about such as cost of living which would mean they are then kicked out of power at the following election.

There are also some good protections (such as upskirting and spiking of drinks) in the bill that would be removed if it was repealed. So they would need to amend it or pass a new act that will remove the problematic parts that the Tories have introduced.

17 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’ve said why in my post. To clarify, Labour haven’t actually said they won’t repeal it just that they can’t repeal repeal all the terrible Tory bills which is correct as that would take too long and they wouldn’t be able to get anything else done that people care about such as cost of living which would mean they are then kicked out of power at the following election.

There are also some good protections (such as upskirting and spiking of drinks) in the bill that would be removed if it was repealed. So they would need to amend it or pass a new act that will remove the problematic parts that the Tories have introduced.

ok, fair enough...I hope they do take out the dodgy stuff.

52 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

They are offences covered by the amended Sexual Offences act

1 hour ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

They are offences covered by the amended Sexual Offences act

You completely correct, sorry! That’ll teach me to not check things.

The Public Order bill does have 2 other good protections though - abortion clinic safe access zones and protection for journalists.

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

You completely correct, sorry! That’ll teach me to not check things.

The Public Order bill does have 2 other good protections though - abortion clinic safe access zones and protection for journalists.

it really isn't worth repealing and bringing in new legislation for this sort of stuff? How much time and energy does scrapping it really take?

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

it really isn't worth repealing and bringing in new legislation for this sort of stuff? How much time and energy does scrapping it really take?

It can take ages, especially if you repeal then put in place new legislation. They might as well introduce their own bill which amends this act.