news & politics:discussion

zahidf

14 minutes ago, lost said:

Wes Streeting apparently considering a New Zealand style smoking ban to protect the NHS.

Progressively raising age limit so younger gen will never smoke..? Good luck with that... although I can see that it's actually a good idea for people's health ..but then I'm not a young smoker anymore.

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Progressively raising age limit so younger gen will never retire...? 

bastards, just when it looks like the finish line is in sight they move the goalposts. 😞 

There are suggestions that will happen too. Pension age going upto 70 in the next parliament with the maximum the country will spend on pensions set at 6% of GDP with automatic rises after that, so yes the smoking suggestion could be linked.

Edited by lost

1 hour ago, lost said:

Wes Streeting apparently considering a New Zealand style smoking ban to protect the NHS.

Would love to see the stats on it but I genuinely think that less smoking means people living longer which just causes more strain down the road.

People Used to smoke a pack a day then drop dead in their 50s, having contributed thousands in tax. Now they’ll live to 90 and need a care home for 5 years or whatever 

24 minutes ago, lost said:

There are suggestions that will happen too. Pension age going upto 70 in the next parliament with the maximum the country will spend on pensions set at 6% of GDP with automatic rises after that, so yes the smoking suggestion could be linked.

68 maybe.

Smoking thing is just prevention is better than cure. They're going to force us to live dull but healthy lives so we don't all end up overloading health services due to lifestyle choices.

15 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

68 maybe.

Its already gone to 68 in 2044. Suggestion is 70 in 2050 now to hit that 6% of GDP target.

Edited by lost

3 minutes ago, lost said:

Its already gone to 68 in 2044. Suggestion is 70 in 2050 now to hit that 6% of GDP target.

oh. I thought current pension minister bloke was saying whoever takes over his job in next parliament will have to bring forward that 68 thing, after decision delayed recently because we're not living as long as expected..

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

oh. I thought current pension minister bloke was saying whoever takes over his job in next parliament will have to bring forward that 68 thing, after decision delayed recently because we're not living as long as expected..

Different think tanks/ predictions innit. Another is AI has a 50/50 chance of destroying mankind by 2050 so we might be ok on the pensions front.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Possibly … still better than the incumbents .  

Definitely better. Those seeking ideological perfection are fools. The Tories have swung to the right, now labour are taking the middle..and that will fuck off many on the left. I have no problem with him saying they are conservative as it is just a meaningless word to get a certain section of the electorate to trust him...but I do worry that he says redistribution not a priority.

13 hours ago, steviewevie said:

itexted my kid the other day to check he's not planning on taking over the world in an evil AI scheme.