news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

IMG_0089.jpeg

Article here
Keir Starmer scales back plan to extend voting rights to EU citizens | Financial Times (ft.com)

would only be for EU citizens who had been here for a number of years...which actually sounds kind of fair to me...and you don't want to go upsetting all the salt of the earth zenophobes after all...but also I think they should extend it to non EU nationals like my partner who has been here for 30 odd years working and paying tax and still can't vote..whereas you get all these bloody emigrants voting who don't have to live with the consequences.

Just now, Ozanne said:

I’ve no idea, the policy hasn’t been fully announced yet just leaked.

Yes, it's in that FT article. He hasn't said anything about this recently, it was 3 years ago...but Telegraph has found out it will be in manifesto and so labour have had to row back on it. We'll just have to see.

This whole election campaign is going to be loads of shit like this...anything that looks soft on crime or protests or EU or woke or whatever from Labour will be jumped all over by tory media and politicians....and Starmer will continuously have to look like he's definitely not sir softy and is infact mr hardman and all the lefties will accuse him of being a Tory...rinse and repeat ad nauseum.

If Erdogan does win that is kind of amazing and depressing...they have rampant inflation, there was all the stuff around shit buildings and the earthquakes, and then all the corruption and autocracy...but he is islamic and for many that is the most important thing. And we see rise of religious right in the west too. Depressing, but maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. Come on KeirKilicdaroglu!

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Article here
Keir Starmer scales back plan to extend voting rights to EU citizens | Financial Times (ft.com)

would only be for EU citizens who had been here for a number of years...which actually sounds kind of fair to me...and you don't want to go upsetting all the salt of the earth zenophobes after all...but also I think they should extend it to non EU nationals like my partner who has been here for 30 odd years working and paying tax and still can't vote..whereas you get all these bloody emigrants voting who don't have to live with the consequences.

I totally agree. If someone is paying taxes here they should be able to vote. Just out of noseyness is your partner able to vote in local elections

11 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

I totally agree. If someone is paying taxes here they should be able to vote. Just out of noseyness is your partner able to vote in local elections

Nope. She's Japanese.  She doesn't seem as bothered as me that she can't vote.

Edited by steviewevie