news & politics:discussion

zahidf

6 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

If labour get in power, they should do everything (within reason) to change electoral rules to their advantage. The Tory’s have done the same in power and will do the same next time they are in.

its a long term strategy with short term gain only.

Just seen a Facebook post by Simone and I know working the Liverpool music biz. Congratulating them for sucjing up Eurovision without much complaint for doing shite music.

In the papers today you can see why voting reform isn't an easy vote winner for Labour and why they need to take care with what they do.

40 minutes ago, Neil said:

In the papers today you can see why voting reform isn't an easy vote winner for Labour and why they need to take care with what they do.

you mean EU citizens being allowed to vote? It is a way for Starmer to force us good honest people back into the EU. A lot of papers are also on about Braverman demanding we bring down migration because we'll forget how to work or something. This will likely lead to tory infighting, the current pragmatic need for migration which Sunak probably appreciates, and dog whistle shite from the likes of Braverman, Patel and Redwood.

12 minutes ago, Neil said:

It's all going to kick off about immigration when new numbers come out today and show it's growing hugely.

700k - 800k are the suggestions I’ve seen or about the equivalent of a city the size of Leeds

Would it even be possible to built that much infrastructure/ housing in a year? It’s not surprising house prices don’t appear to be falling despite the interest rate rises.

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

It is a way for Starmer to force us good honest people back into the EU.

its a shit way of doing it if it is that. 

2 minutes ago, lost said:

700k - 800k are the suggestions I’ve seen or about the equivalent of a city the size of Leeds

i've been hearing expectations of the announcement being  of 1.5M in a year. plus the same every year.

4 minutes ago, lost said:

Would it even be possible to built that much infrastructure/ housing in a year? 

not ever, where could we build a new city every year, and do the people living in that area get a say about it.

5 minutes ago, lost said:

house prices don’t appear to be falling despite the interest rate rises.

because the current pricing -of people paying silly prices is baked in to the system.

I expect immigration dropped down over the covid years, and now has picked up again to make up for shortfall and will settle back down...foreign workers for various industries, farms, students etc. But Farage and the reform people are going to do their nut and this could pile on more damage to the tories and brexit, although I expect they will try and make it look like labour will make it worse because they love immigrants and criminals and foreigners and protesters.

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

(it isn't)

its the worst reason for joining the EU there's much better reasons to persuade people with such as easier trade.

20 minutes ago, lost said:

Would it even be possible to built that much infrastructure/ housing in a year? It’s not surprising house prices don’t appear to be falling despite the interest rate rises.

but is net population growing more than normal? I think rate of increase has actually been doing down? Anyway, they haven't been building enough houses for last few decades.

4 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

but is net population growing more than normal? I think rate of increase has actually been doing down? Anyway, they haven't been building enough houses for last few decades.

the house building problem goes back to thatcher  (cos big public house-building projects stopped).

and even with your take on net housebuilding, house availability is lessened  cos of immigrants.

Population was falling in the 1990’s. I think legal immigration tended to be around 50 - 60k which is why Cameron promised to get it back to 5 figures. 

22 minutes ago, Neil said:

its the worst reason for joining the EU there's much better reasons to persuade people with such as easier trade.

Labour aren't going to take us back into the EU, even a labour-libdem coalition won't..despite polls indicating it would be popular...but I reckon there would be a lot of deals that would make us a lot closer than we are now.