news & politics:discussion

zahidf

4 hours ago, Neil said:

do you remember how brown's election dithering cost him support, i reckon sunak would get a boost by being brave enough to have an election.

Pretty sure that the reaction to Brown's dithering is what lead to Theresa May going all in for the 2017 snap election, which ended up being a good idea for about a week until the campaign ended up being a spectacular failure.

59 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

quite honestly though if Starmer fails to get a majority after this being handed to him on a plate then he needs to quit ... think he likely would anyway 

Still not that confident they will...when election campaign gets going and various newspapers go to town on lefty lawyer Starmer and Labour's woke policies.

33 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Still not that confident they will...when election campaign gets going and various newspapers go to town on lefty lawyer Starmer and Labour's woke policies.

with the tory party decimated theyve got so much ammunition to fight back now from the NHS to the economy they should not be messing this up ... swing or no swing its just people going and putting a cross in a box 

• Upvote 1

https://electionreview.labourtogether.uk/chapters/the-scale-of-the-challenge#:~:text=over recent elections.-,To win a parliamentary majority of one at the next,123 seats across the UK

‘Labour faces a substantial challenge at the next election. To be the largest Party we would need a swing to Labour of 1997 proportions. To win a majority of 1 we would need to increase our number of MPs by 60 per-cent up by 123 seats, something no major Party has ever done.’

It not as simple as just putting a cross in a box, if you need a large swing to win then it means you have to convince many more people to change how they voted last time round which can be hard and it’s partly why swings of the scale needed aren’t common. 

9 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

with the tory party decimated theyve got so much ammunition to fight back now from the NHS to the economy they should not be messing this up ... swing or no swing its just people going and putting a cross in a box 

yes...it really is a great opportunity for labour, and I think it's almost nailed on...but look at history...labour really don't win that often...

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

https://electionreview.labourtogether.uk/chapters/the-scale-of-the-challenge#:~:text=over recent elections.-,To win a parliamentary majority of one at the next,123 seats across the UK

‘Labour faces a substantial challenge at the next election. To be the largest Party we would need a swing to Labour of 1997 proportions. To win a majority of 1 we would need to increase our number of MPs by 60 per-cent up by 123 seats, something no major Party has ever done.’

It not as simple as just putting a cross in a box, if you need a large swing to win then it means you have to convince many more people to change how they voted last time round which can be hard and it’s partly why swings of the scale needed aren’t common. 

we ? you are Kier Starmer and I claim my £5 

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

yes...it really is a great opportunity for labour, and I think it's almost nailed on...but look at history...labour really don't win that often...

True but they have a habit of ruining their own chances by electing foot and Corbyn as leaders. could say the same about Kinnock too 

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

True but they have a habit of ruining their own chances by electing foot and Corbyn as leaders. could say the same about Kinnock too 

and smith and brown and miliband and callaghan and some other people I've never heard of. Only actual winner in last 40 years was Blair and many question whether he was actually in the right party.

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

What happened to the boundary changes the Tory’s were going to bring in to favour themselves, I lost track if this happened or not.

Comes into force for the next general election. 

29 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Comes into force for the next general election. 

i end up in a different seat, either Bristol east, or a new seat. if its the new seat labour prolly won't win it, cos the unpopular city mayor intends standing for it.

i see that the snp has the least integrity of any party, not suspending members who are under criminal investigation. (bettered by the tories, @LJS ) what do you say.....?????