news & politics:discussion

zahidf

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

I think wait to they're in first, and then call them out for being fascists new labour centrist neo lib blue Tory c**ts.

She does good work campaigning for the NHS, she can be a bit too OTT for my liking at times but generally she’s good. She also riles up all the gammons for some reason which is humorous. 

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think wait to they're in first, and then call them out for being fascists new labour centrist neo lib blue Tory c**ts.

Oh but she’s referencing last night and if people understood the Lords or could be bothered to read up why Labour did that last night then they might not be so quick to judge. Then again that might be too much to ask some people!

52 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Oh but she’s referencing last night and if people understood the Lords or could be bothered to read up why Labour did that last night then they might not be so quick to judge. Then again that might be too much to ask some people!

Not ozanne being passive aggressive. You also clearly don't have a clue what happened or you wouldn't have been so vague

3 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Meh maybe, but i have no respect for someone who makes a fortune off running a 'not for profit' which doesn't really do anything.

Anyone running a not for profit is planning to profit otherwise they'd run a charity.

8 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

with the exception of small community groups, i broadly agree

including those, there's reasons why people choose 'not for profit' rather than charity, and the freedom to profit is why..

8 minutes ago, Neil said:

including those, there's reasons why people choose 'not for profit' rather than charity, and the freedom to profit is why..

nah if you're a small wee group then the cost of becoming a charity isn't worth it. i'm talking like small community groups here like pensioner lunch groups or befriending stuff or whatever. i used to work in the sector, theres some chancers and a lot more people doing great work 

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

nah if you're a small wee group then the cost of becoming a charity isn't worth it. i'm talking like small community groups here like pensioner lunch groups or befriending stuff or whatever. i used to work in the sector, theres some chancers and a lot more people doing great work 

lots of people doing great work in the charity sector, and people wanting things more in their favour in the not-for-profit area.

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

lots of people doing great work in the charity sector, and people wanting things more in their favour in the not-for-profit area.

you think a pensioners group of 10 oldies should need to become a charity and have audited accounts? theres a massive difference between that and EveryDoctor which is that Julia Patterson's not for profit

2 hours ago, fraybentos1 said:

Meh maybe, but i have no respect for someone who makes a fortune off running a 'not for profit' which doesn't really do anything.

Excuse my ignorance, but can you explain how she has "made a fortune"?

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:

you think a pensioners group of 10 oldies should need to become a charity and have audited accounts?

no, i said there's reasons why that group might choose to not be a charity - some people pushed for a legally set 'not for profit' option to be introduced (not that long ago): ever wondered why? they wanted more freedom and less scrutiny.

40 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Many thanks Monsignor Bentos.  Some interesting concerns raised but no evidence that I can see that the lady in question is making a fortune from it.

They certainly appear to have been effective in raising consciousness/support for NHS trikes & staff which seems to me to be a good thing.

They are clearly too political to be a charity and I would imagine she could make what most of us would consider a decent income if she were to work as whatever sort of doctor she is.

There is virtually no organisation that doesn't have someone calling them out for something on-line. Its the way the world works now.

Just to be clear, I am not saying Everydoctor is perfect or the woman that runs it is doing it for entirely altruistic reasons. I'm simply saying they appear to me to be quite effective in what they do & I have seen no evidence that Dr Julia is making a "fortune" from it.

4 hours ago, LJS said:

Many thanks Monsignor Bentos.  Some interesting concerns raised but no evidence that I can see that the lady in question is making a fortune from it.

They certainly appear to have been effective in raising consciousness/support for NHS trikes & staff which seems to me to be a good thing.

They are clearly too political to be a charity and I would imagine she could make what most of us would consider a decent income if she were to work as whatever sort of doctor she is.

There is virtually no organisation that doesn't have someone calling them out for something on-line. Its the way the world works now.

Just to be clear, I am not saying Everydoctor is perfect or the woman that runs it is doing it for entirely altruistic reasons. I'm simply saying they appear to me to be quite effective in what they do & I have seen no evidence that Dr Julia is making a "fortune" from it.

She annoyed people during COVID I think, promoting her elegant masks and stuff.

6 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

To me there is little progressive about free childcare for anyone over 9 months. I think money can be better spent to help those most in need.

if they want people to have kids and also to get back to bloody work, then maybe they need to help with childcare more.

Also...isn't this sort of thing how they do it in Scandinavia....tax less progressive than here (everyone pays), but more welfare for everyone, keeps the middle classes on side...and everybody's happy (and blonde and attractive etc).

Edited by steviewevie

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

She annoyed people during COVID I think, promoting her elegant masks and stuff.

That’s ultimately it, isn’t it. She annoyed all those type of people in the pandemic and they haven’t forgiven her. Those people are so quick to point out anything that might be slightly off about her campaign but never ever highlight the corruption with the Tories. It’s misogyny. 

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

if they want people to have kids and also to get back to bloody work, then maybe they need to help with childcare more.

Also...isn't this sort of thing how they do it in Scandinavia....tax less progressive than here (everyone pays), but more welfare for everyone, keeps the middle classes on side...and everybody's happy (and blonde and attractive etc).

That is effectively focusing on those who vote, rather than those who (in relative numbers) don’t. I am happy with those in need having free childcare, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect those who can afford to make scarfices and contribute.