news & politics:discussion

zahidf

27 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

That is effectively focusing on those who vote, rather than those who (in relative numbers) don’t. I am happy with those in need having free childcare, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect those who can afford to make scarfices and contribute.

Unfortunately, with the price of childcare, the sacrifices end up being the mum giving up work until the child starts school, as it's either to costly to work / marginal difference.  

15 minutes ago, gary1979666 said:

Unfortunately, with the price of childcare, the sacrifices end up being the mum giving up work until the child starts school, as it's either too costly to work / marginal difference.  

There are still plenty of kids in nurseries which suggests to me many mums are still working. I have no issue with targeted care, but there are still a lot of people who can afford childcare and that money in my view is better targeted at those most in need. Or alternatively a tapered system where people may make some contribution.

the end...

Our final conclusion is in relation to sanction. Although Mr Johnson’s resignation 
as an MP renders it impossible for a sanction of suspension to be imposed, we draw 
attention to the fact that before the events of Friday 9 June we had provisionally 
agreed to recommend a suspension long enough to engage the provisions of the 
Recall of MPs Act. In the light of Mr Johnson’s further contempts, we put on 
record that if he had not resigned his seat, we would have recommended that he be 
suspended from the service of the House for 90 days for repeated contempts and for 
seeking to undermine the parliamentary process, by:
• Deliberately misleading the House
• Deliberately misleading the Committee
• Breaching confidence
• Impugning the Committee and thereby undermining the democratic process of 
the House
• Being complicit in the campaign of abuse and attempted intimidation of the 
Committee
In view of the fact that Mr Johnson is no longer a Member, we recommend that he should 
not be granted a former Member’s pass.

8 hours ago, LJS said:

Many thanks Monsignor Bentos.  Some interesting concerns raised but no evidence that I can see that the lady in question is making a fortune from it.

They certainly appear to have been effective in raising consciousness/support for NHS trikes & staff which seems to me to be a good thing.

They are clearly too political to be a charity and I would imagine she could make what most of us would consider a decent income if she were to work as whatever sort of doctor she is.

There is virtually no organisation that doesn't have someone calling them out for something on-line. Its the way the world works now.

Just to be clear, I am not saying Everydoctor is perfect or the woman that runs it is doing it for entirely altruistic reasons. I'm simply saying they appear to me to be quite effective in what they do & I have seen no evidence that Dr Julia is making a "fortune" from it.

Fortune is subjective i guess, but I reckon she’s making more than she would from being a doctor for doing f**k all except exploiting peoples lobe of the nhs and their goodwill. 

I think grifter is an apt term and she’s a disgrace. If you do some more searching I guarantee you’ll only see negative things. 

Just been watching the news <sigh>. BBC had MP Brendon someone for almost 10 minutes going on and on about what a stitch up it all is (same talking points as Dorries) and Sky News with rolling breaking banners all quoting Johnson and none actually quoting the bloody report.

It's all very Trumpian. Can't wait to move on from this post-truth zeitgeist.

This made me laugh though:

23 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

I can't believe the number of tory bastards coming out in support of the lying c**t!

It's almost as if they don't want to win the next election!

Parliament is sovereign until it tries to hold one of them to account. 

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

just have to see how this plays out for dishi rishi...on one hand he doesn't need to worry about boris, on the other hand he needs to worry about boris.

He’s gonna actually have to show some leadership for a change.