news & politics:discussion

zahidf

5 hours ago, Ozanne said:

I’ve been saying all along that raising interest rates is the wrong course of action. I’m being proven right it seems. 

this is the problem...bring down inflation with interest rate rises but damage the economy in other ways. Inflation is a big problem and it is the bank of england's job to sort it out...but for whatever reason inflation is not coming down as quickly as expected, so now need to weigh up the options. It looks like they will stick with the rate rises, so will govt step in to help homeowners with increasing mortgage payments?

I think we're in a bit of a pickle...and as someone said, we're going to have to get used to being poorer. I wonder if any party will stick that on their election pamphlets?

44 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

will govt step in to help homeowners with increasing mortgage payments?

I would of hoped they would of learnt their lesson after the amount of fraud that went on with the covid business loans and eat out to help out.

Effectively telling people to use any means necessary to buy the biggest house possible and the tax payer will pick up the bill to keep you in it doesn't seem a great idea. 

3 minutes ago, lost said:

I would of hoped they would of learnt their lesson after the amount of fraud that went on with the covid business loans and eat out to help out.

Effectively telling people to use any means necessary to buy the biggest house possible and the tax payer will pick up the bill to keep you in it doesn't seem a great idea. 

yeah...but still, a lot of people are going to be out of pocket...just going to let them default on their mortgages? Hardly a vote winner.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

this is the problem...bring down inflation with interest rate rises but damage the economy in other ways. Inflation is a big problem and it is the bank of england's job to sort it out...but for whatever reason inflation is not coming down as quickly as expected, so now need to weigh up the options. It looks like they will stick with the rate rises, so will govt step in to help homeowners with increasing mortgage payments?

I think we're in a bit of a pickle...and as someone said, we're going to have to get used to being poorer. I wonder if any party will stick that on their election pamphlets?

Well raising interest rates to combat supply chain inflation isn’t the right option and it seems that’s being proven right. The BoE have failed because when prices are rising they are choosing to raise interest rates which makes mortgages more expensive too. They have failed us and we are all going to pay.

They should’ve kept interest rates low as I’ve said all along. 

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Well raising interest rates to combat supply chain inflation isn’t the right option and it seems that’s being proven right. The BoE have failed because when prices are rising they are choosing to raise interest rates which makes mortgages more expensive too. They have failed us and we are all going to pay.

They should’ve kept interest rates low as I’ve said all along. 

maybe they should have made you governor of the bank of england. 

Just now, steviewevie said:

maybe they should have made you governor of the bank of england. 

Probably would’ve better than them raising interest rates. 

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Probably would’ve better than them raising interest rates. 

in the end it is a balance...they want to reduce inflation, but they don't want to f**k the economy...and it isn't an exact science and everyone thinks they know better and there is a lot of captain hindsight should have done this should have done that...it is a bit like making decisions on covid based on a whole bunch of forecasts, not easy.

So, I expect interest rates will probably continue to go up, but they will balance that decision on how these rate rises are negatively affecting the economy...and then it is up to the government to help actual people negatively affected through fiscal policies..and this is required more and more whether the tory hardcore likes it or not, which shows that in our current situation, and probably our future situation, we need a bigger state. We are poorer, we have an aging population, we are going to have to pay more, have less, distribute more.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

in the end it is a balance...they want to reduce inflation, but they don't want to f**k the economy...and it isn't an exact science and everyone thinks they know better and there is a lot of captain hindsight should have done this should have done that...it is a bit like making decisions on covid based on a whole bunch of forecasts, not easy.

So, I expect interest rates will probably continue to go up, but they will balance that decision on how these rate rises are negatively affecting the economy...and then it is up to the government to help actual people negatively affected through fiscal policies..and this is required more and more whether the tory hardcore likes it or not, which shows that in our current situation, and probably our future situation, we need a bigger state. We are poorer, we have an aging population, we are going to have to pay more, have less, distribute more.

We’ve been paying more for years for various things now and it’s never enough. Now the BoE have decided we should have even less money and they actively want to bring about a recession so of course interest rates will go up as that’s their aim.

It’s not being Captain Hindsight if you were calling it from the start. 

46 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

yeah...but still, a lot of people are going to be out of pocket...just going to let them default on their mortgages? Hardly a vote winner.

Nope it'll probably be one the major reasons the Tories end up losing. People didn't vote labour out when they lied to parliament about weapons of mass destruction and murdered 1 million iraqi's they voted them out after house prices crashed in 2008.

That's democracy I guess. It doesn't mean people are always right. The amount of times housing has been discussed at work and people have advised others to borrow more than you can afford and you'll be bailed out by rising prices if you get in trouble,  I don't think it'll be a bad thing if our attitude to housing in this country changes from houses are things to get unearned income from.

2 hours ago, lost said:

Nope it'll probably be one the major reasons the Tories end up losing. People didn't vote labour out when they lied to parliament about weapons of mass destruction and murdered 1 million iraqi's they voted them out after house prices crashed in 2008.

That's democracy I guess. It doesn't mean people are always right. The amount of times housing has been discussed at work and people have advised others to borrow more than you can afford and you'll be bailed out by rising prices if you get in trouble,  I don't think it'll be a bad thing if our attitude to housing in this country changes from houses are things to get unearned income from.

they need to make housing a human necessity, not a means to making a profit.